Huawei OceanStor Overview

Huawei OceanStor is the #17 ranked solution in our list of best All-Flash Storage Arrays. It is most often compared to Dell EMC Unity XT: Huawei OceanStor vs Dell EMC Unity XT

What is Huawei OceanStor?

OceanStor Dorado V3 is the industry's first all-flash storage that puts NVMe into commercial use. It is specially designed for enterprises' mission-critical businesses, meeting the most-demanding performance and reliability requirements of databases, VDI, server virtualization, and SAP HANA.

Huawei OceanStor is also known as OceanStor Dorado V3 All-Flash Storage System, OceanStor 18000 V3 Series Storage Systems, OceanStor 6800 V3 Storage System.

Download the All-Flash Storage Arrays Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

Huawei OceanStor Customers

Piraeus, Clinique Univeritaires Saint-Luc

Huawei OceanStor Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Huawei OceanStor pricing:
  • "Huawei OceanStor is priced very well but is a bit complicated."
  • "Pricing is very fair."

Chetan Woodun
Senior Consultant at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Good management and technical support, but it is not too cheap also.

What is our primary use case?

Customers using in production environment

• "We get a quick response in case any component defaults. We have seen the benefits mostly."
  • "Huawei is not that cheap."

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I'd rate it at a seven. I gave it a score of seven based on my experience with other storage solutions. We've used NetApp, HP, and EMC. We've used quite a number. In fact, I gave this score because of the support. It is quite a high score. But frankly, we're still going through the steps of implementing. We have our main database there. Now we are going to optimize further. It's not only because All-Flash costs money. We should use it optimally. There is a tendency for users to put all their data on the All-Flash. We also have cache solutions whereby a part of the…
EG
Systems Technician at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Has sped up our operations and it is easy to maintain and support

What is our primary use case?

We use it as primary storage for our Virtualization environment (vmware) under HP Blade system. We store the VM and the data on int (SQL Server, etc).

• "The solution has improved our organization by speeding up our operations."
  • "The deployment took a little longer."

What other advice do I have?

It would be very pretentious to give advice to anyone since the product is very simple and easy to use and we have it only for less than a year. I think the system has more features than we are using right now. Fortunately we have not the opportunity to check the quality of the service as till the moment we have not any problem. Perfection is difficult to achieve, so on a scale from one to ten, my rating is nine. F
Find out what your peers are saying about Huawei, Dell EMC, Hewlett Packard Enterprise and others in All-Flash Storage Arrays. Updated: June 2021.
511,607 professionals have used our research since 2012.
GB
Chief Executive Officer at a consultancy with 201-500 employees
Reseller
Easy to implement, runs well, and the price is good

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for the software. The hardware, we design ourselves. We are resellers. We provide business software and the back-end system is a cross-selling theme for us.

• "The setup and the price are the most valuable and not the features related."
  • "I would like to see the next generation all-flash, which could be combined."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Huawei OceanStor an eight out of ten.
Remigiusz Gorecki
Data Center Presales Engineer at Integrated Solutions
MSP
Good synchronous and asynchronous features but it needs better management features

• "The initial setup was straightforward."
  • "The management is not a good feature in all of Huawei products. It's not easy or simple. Huawei has some problems with management and handling storage information from one interface."

What other advice do I have?

The customer should know what he wants and the person who manages the storage should outline the needs. You should be aware of what the seller wants to sell and what he wants to do. But this is relevant to every storage product. As a seller, it's very important to not promise the customer better than what the solution delivers. OceanStor is the best Huawei product for the data center. I would rate this solution seven out of 10. I've never had a storage solution that I've wanted to give more than an eight to. There is no solution without disadvantages.
MY
Technical Lead at Computer Marketing Company Pvt Ltd
Easy to install, good configuration and extremely stable

What is our primary use case?

We have some Huawei 9000 cases for our virtualization, and for the storage block-level and mass as well, For HyperMetro too, for 18560 and 6800, this solution is critical for our company. The product is the main one on the line, it serves the entire company. Our usage expands daily.  We are partners with Huawei and I'm the technical lead.

What is most valuable?

The solution is easy to install and configure. It's also very stable.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see a more stable, lighter Metro and better logging system for issues and resolution in the future.

We've been using this solution for the past 12 months.

For HyperMetro there are some…
JS
IT Solution Architect at Huatech a.s.
Great for internal IT systems and excellent value for money

What is our primary use case?

We are integrators so we're selling this solution to our customers. Many are from the transportation sector, public broadcasting sector, or they are service providers. They use it for internal IT systems. Our clients cover the full range from small to enterprise size companies. We are a gold partner with Huawei and I'm an IT solution architect.

• "Great value for money."
  • "Integration with mainstream solution technologies could be better."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend everyone to try the product, they will be surprised at how good it is. I would rate this product a nine out of 10.
DK
Technology Solutions Architect at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
Good flexibility, straightforward to set up, and it is stable

What is our primary use case?

We are a system integration company and we are working with Huawei OceanStor products. It is mainly used for virtualization.

• "The most valuable feature is the flexibility in the rail, as it is hybrid storage."
  • "The administration should be simplified because there are a large number of options that make it too complicated, and the customers can get confused."

LA
IT Manager at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Good availability, stability, and it is competitively priced

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of the 6400 and 6800 is as flash in our private cloud and the 5400's we use for backups in private cloud.

• "The most valuable feature is the availability."
  • "The upgrading process needs improvement. Deploy it and notify the customers when new versions and stuff comes out. I don't think they're doing that well."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it an eight out of ten. I would recommend it to someone considering it. Pricing is very competitive and the routing is very good.
See 2 more Huawei OceanStor Reviews