Huawei OceanStor Review

Easy to implement, runs well, and the price is good

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for the software. The hardware, we design ourselves.

We are resellers. We provide business software and the back-end system is a cross-selling theme for us.

What is most valuable?

The setup and the price are the most valuable and not the features related.

On top of the data core environment for software-defined storage, we use machine power and not software technology.

We struggle with finding anything to improve, as it's a powerful solution and is missing nothing.

What needs improvement?

The energy could be better. I would like to see the next generation all-flash, which could be combined.

The interface needs improvement. You have a standardized fiber channel from the past and you have to order a 10 gig interface separately. It would be better to have it all. Huawei has it all in its portfolio, so it can easily be built. They don't have to purchase it, it can be built by themselves.

I have been working with Huawei OceanStor for five years.

We have not contacted technical support because it runs very well. We have not had any issues.

We are also working with Lenovo. Lenovo is in the same price range, but Huawei is a step further.

The implementation is easy because we are educated and experienced in Huawei OceanStor.

Huawei OceanStor is priced very well but is a bit complicated.

You have a price list but have to wait for a discount, which depends on the distribution, where you get it from. This is intransparent, I prefer a clear price policy.

I would prefer having a price quote based on whether you are a reseller if you have silver or gold status, or a customer.

The price list is high and you get a large discount from the price list. I prefer a comparable price list and a smaller discount.

We are always looking for the best solution for the next five years.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Huawei OceanStor an eight out of ten.

More Huawei OceanStor reviews from users
...who compared it with Lenovo ThinkSystem DE Series
Find out what your peers are saying about Huawei, Dell EMC, Hewlett Packard Enterprise and others in All-Flash Storage Arrays. Updated: July 2021.
523,372 professionals have used our research since 2012.