Huawei OceanStor Review

Good synchronous and asynchronous features but it needs better management features

What is most valuable?

The replication, both the synchronous and asynchronous are the most valuable features.

What needs improvement?

The management is not a good feature in all of Huawei products. It's not easy or simple. Huawei has some problems with management and handling storage information from one interface.

Technical support needs improvement. It would be helpful if there was more support in my country. I'm from Poland and there's no big Huawei support here. We are a country and we have only two technical people from Huawei. Sometimes it's not enough.

I've been using the solution for three years.

Sometimes, we have problems with the storage controller, but after adjusting it works fine. Generally, it's a very good solution.

Technical support could be a problem. We have no big problem with the storage, but we do have problems sometimes. I have Huawei service with my license. In our country, there is no support center and generally, the support center is in China. Sometimes there are language barriers.

The initial setup was straightforward. The time it takes to deploy depends on the configuration. It can take a few hours if you are including mounting the storage and bigger deployments with the many controllers can take longer. It can take up to three days, depending on architectural complexities.

I'm an integrator, so I only sell it and deploy the solution in the customer environment.

What other advice do I have?

The customer should know what he wants and the person who manages the storage should outline the needs. You should be aware of what the seller wants to sell and what he wants to do. But this is relevant to every storage product. As a seller, it's very important to not promise the customer better than what the solution delivers. OceanStor is the best Huawei product for the data center.

I would rate this solution seven out of 10. I've never had a storage solution that I've wanted to give more than an eight to. There is no solution without disadvantages.