Huawei OceanStor Review

Good availability, stability, and it is competitively priced

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of the 6400 and 6800 is as flash in our private cloud and the 5400's we use for backups in private cloud.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the availability.

What needs improvement?

The upgrading process needs improvement. Deploy it and notify the customers when new versions and stuff comes out. I don't think they're doing that well.

In the next release, they should have encryption. Compliance is a very big thing in security. If we got encryption in the boxes, clients would be satisfied. We'd also like to see deduplication, compression, and NVMe capabilities.

It's stable. What we're currently working on is very stable.

We've got about five or seven clients that are using it.

We struggle a bit with technical support with the language barrier.

The initial setup of the 55-5400 didn't take long because the guys knew already how to deploy. The 68's took long.

Pricing is very fair. It's competitively priced.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it an eight out of ten.

I would recommend it to someone considering it. Pricing is very competitive and the routing is very good.

More Huawei OceanStor reviews from users
Find out what your peers are saying about Huawei, Dell EMC, Hewlett Packard Enterprise and others in All-Flash Storage Arrays. Updated: December 2020.
455,301 professionals have used our research since 2012.
1 Comment

author avatarChetan Woodun
Top 5LeaderboardReal User

(a)Makes sense to have the 6400 and 6800 is as flash in our private cloud and the slower 5400's as backup , but please make sure that you have an offsite copy as well, both for compliance and peace of mind!
(b)Also, when implementing those higher Tiers (Tier 1 : NVME), please make sure that the requirements are streamlined as the cost of NVMe can be 2.5 times those of SSD ( Tier 2) and the price even by Huawei standards is not on the lower side! Only the application requiring the fastest response time should normally be NVMe. Its important for users to understand the cost difference.
(c)About encryption, best done at application level.