Huawei OceanStor Review

Good management and technical support, but it is not too cheap also.

What is our primary use case?

Customers using in production environment

How has it helped my organization?

We deployed Huawei OceanStor because we had some problems increasing the number of users on our database and were suffering from slowness and downtime. Then we just thought the All-Flash represented a quick win. We implemented it and now most of our data-intensive transactions are sitting under All-Flash.

We've gotten quite a good response from our users since we began using All-Flash.

What is most valuable?

The management is fine. And we get a quick response in case any component defaults. We have seen the benefits mostly.

We've been using this solution for about one year.

At first, we had some component failures - none that were critical because our system has built-in redundancy. We had a number of these failures at a component level, but that was quickly resolved through a firmware upgrade. We had some doubts we were going in the right direction by using the OceanStor solution, but all the problems got resolved through the firmware upgrade. I don't have much to say. Maybe our period of using it is too limited for me to say much about it.

I've had experience with support. In fact, even for this type of solution, hyperconverged, we took the product support that is standard. In fact, the alerts go to us and they also go to Huawei support because it's a critical system for us. We sometimes have Huawei contacting us to say we got something even before we contact them. This is good. Support has been good.

We've used NetApp, HP, and EMC.

The physical installation itself is quite fast, but we had to go through the requirements with the connections and servers, etc. I would say it took about five or six weeks.

Not yet measured

Since Huawei is a Chinese product we've got the tendency to think that it is very cheap. But Huawei is not that cheap. We compared Huawei's price before purchasing. We compared costs per GB to other suppliers, as well. We compared the cost to EMC and NetApp, which are quite nimble solutions. We had to also evaluate the local support that is in our country. We evaluated other criteria, as well. After these evaluations we chose Huawei. It was not only cost. Basically it's not the cheapest but it's in the mid-pricing. We've got the high end, the mid-price, then we've got the low end. Huawei would be in the middle.

I will keep it general and not provide a detailed analysis in terms of storage and the All-Flash requirements. In this case, people, especially application guys, should understand that All-Flash is not for all applications. This is important because of the cost of All-Flash compared to other storage solutions. In fact, you need to emphasize this very well and tell application guys that you're spending a lot of money on All-Flash when it's not really required. In my opinion, this is the main thing. Otherwise, you end up upgrading and upgrading and it's quite a budget for All-Flash compared to other storage.

We evaluated NetApp and EMC.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I'd rate it at a seven.

I gave it a score of seven based on my experience with other storage solutions. We've used NetApp, HP, and EMC. We've used quite a number. In fact, I gave this score because of the support. It is quite a high score. But frankly, we're still going through the steps of implementing. We have our main database there. Now we are going to optimize further. It's not only because All-Flash costs money. We should use it optimally. There is a tendency for users to put all their data on the All-Flash. We also have cache solutions whereby a part of the data is on the All-Flash. We are trying to convince users that they don't really need All-Flash for all their data, for all their applications. Maybe in more time, I can compare and give you an idea, but not yet at this stage. I can't tell you which features we need, not yet at this stage.

**Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Consultant for user company
More Huawei OceanStor reviews from users