Huawei Wireless Review

It has a very good price and provides value for money

What is our primary use case?

University 3500 users

How has it helped my organization?

Stable and reliable (and FAST! we have graphics department) is essential for us, old WiFi wad EOL 2 years ago.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable thing about Huawei Wireless is that it is one of the cheapest WiFi 6 systems. Its price is very nice. The other WiFi systems cost about 15% more.

What needs improvement?

Huawei Wireless has a small technical problem. When you use a power injector, it needs to be specially configured for the switch to which it is connected. It tries to take power not from the power injector but from the switch. The funny thing when you look at it is that you have three switches or maybe four or five that are theoretically capable. However, the port on these switches is disabled. When you connect the access point to a power injector, the access point checks for features from the switch, but on this port, the switch doesn't do power. So, the access point changes these features to energy save mode and cuts off some features, especially WiFi 6. It took me two weeks to find out what's going on and how to mitigate this sort of problem. It is very easy to fix. You need to disable LLDP on the port on which you connect the access point to the power injector. Power injectors aren't quite commonly used, but I have 54 access points, and I have used about 27 power injectors. So, about half of the access points were working at reduced speed, not full speed, for two weeks.

I have been using Huawei Wireless for two months. I am using the latest version.

I can't say much about stability at this time. Currently, because of the pandemic, we don't have many people in the building. Normally, we have about a hundred of the devices. Having said that, everything is smooth for those couple of devices that are currently connected to the WiFi. Roaming is important for the WiFi system. Roaming means that when you connect to the WiFi network, you can go five levels up, and you are still connected. You do not need to reconnect at each level and authorize again. A channel's stability is important because if you use 2.4 gigahertz or 5 gigahertz wavelength, it is important that the access point must find the right channel. For the correct or automatic assignment, the channel must work correctly.

It is scalable in my opinion.

I have received technical support from Huawei at two levels. Technical support from the Polish reseller of Huawei could be better. Technical support directly from Huawei, not from private resellers, was good. I think currently in Europe, Huawei's technical support is in Romania, and they work fast.

Currently performance/price is very good for Huawei

I have been creating and configuring networks for about 25 years, which is a lot of time. I use the basic text interface. Therefore, it isn't a big problem for me to work on the command line. However, for new users who are used to working through GUI, it can be a problem to create the initial configuration. Huawei Wireless has a GUI interface for the configuration, but it is not similar to the text configuration. You can't create a detailed configuration through the GUI. To make some new changes or some new additions, you have to use the text interface.

My deployment was divided into two parts: hardware configuration and software configuration. For hardware deployment or configuration, I had to put access points in the right place. I had 54 access points. I also had to get the cables made for connecting access points, which took about a few weeks. After that, hanging the access points took about a few days, and the software configuration took about three weeks. The basic configuration was done in one week, but after that, we had a problem with the power injectors. Finding the solution and figuring out what's going on with our power injectors took about two weeks. Normally, it can be done in one week.

Its price is very good. This wireless system totally costs about 30,000 euros, and some of the other solutions cost about 45,000 euros. It is a difference of 15,000 euros, which is quite a lot of money.

Ruckus, Aruba, Extremenetworks

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution because it has quite a good price, and it provides value for money. Huawei access controller can be located on a WiFi switch. Therefore, you do not need to buy an extra server for putting the access controller. It can go on a switch.

I have invested in Huawei WiFi systems and their support. I won't buy WiFi systems for the next two years of using this. The software updates are very important for solid WiFi connectivity.

I would rate Huawei Wireless an eight out of ten.

More Huawei Wireless reviews from users
...who work at a Comms Service Provider
...who compared it with Cisco Wireless
Learn what your peers think about Huawei Wireless. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
521,637 professionals have used our research since 2012.