IBM Db2 Warehouse on Cloud Review

Good performance but poor scalability, and the technical support needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

This is part of our Data Warehouse solution and it is set up as a two-node cluster.

What is most valuable?

The performance is okay as long as the volume of queries is not too high.

What needs improvement?

We have been facing some challenges with Db2 when scaling up the operations in terms of availability. It becomes a single point of failure and it pollutes the whole system, leaving us challenges in serving the traffic. This is the reason that we are considering migrating to Oracle.

We have been using Db2 Warehouse for three years.

Scalability has been a problem area. We have traffic on the order of gigabytes and it impacts our queries and responses a lot. Considering the volume that we have, it manifests itself into a multitude of issues.

We have dealt with technical support on several occasions. Whenever we run into issues, the specialist team is involved and the resolution cycle is stretched. We have to rely on make-shift solutions and the issues keep recurring. Ultimately, the product itself has challenges and we are not currently satisfied with the support, either.

Our deployment cycle was approximately six to seven months.

We worked with our technology solutions provider to implement Db2, and we have an in-house team as well. We received assistance from IBM and the team faced a lot of challenges with the full IBM stack.

We are currently in the process of evaluating migration from Db2 to Oracle.

What other advice do I have?

Db2 is not a solution that I recommend. We have a lot of experience and we are not satisfied with the product or the support that we received. Because of the way our environment works, serving branches, it becomes a challenge to satisfy the customers or users.

I would rate this solution a five out of ten.

More IBM Db2 Warehouse on Cloud reviews from users
...who compared it with Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse
Find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Amazon, Snowflake Computing and others in Cloud Data Warehouse. Updated: July 2021.
521,817 professionals have used our research since 2012.