IBM FlashSystem Review

One of the fastest available in the market today​.

What is most valuable?

I/O speeds. This products in basically a RAID comprised of SSD drives with PCI-Express interface, that you can connect to 16GB HBAs, making this storage one of the fastest available in the market today.

How has it helped my organization?

This storage has incredible performance, the I/O is awesome. It is difficult to understand how fast it is if you don’t have one, that’s why IBM gives you a month trial, to install it in your infrastructure and give it a try.
In my organization's case, we use the FlashSystem basically for virtualization (VMware). It's amazing how fast a virtual machine boots. We use it for databases too, and the disk I/O performance is incredible.

What needs improvement?

This storage is factory configured so it's very difficult and expensive to add more flash modules (disk capacity).

Scalability is the main area which needs to improve.

Six months.

No, no at all.

IBM support is excellent as always.

No, this is my first experience with a 100% SSD solution.

No, in fact it was easier than I expected.

If you are going to buy one, have in mind the amount of capacity you need, and your estimated growth for the following years. As I mentioned above, it is expensive to add more SSD modules.

Not really, it was recommended to me by a friend, and after the first month, my company couldn't live without it.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend adding a pair of SAN switches to the Flash solution, otherwise it's a waste to use as and direct attach storage.