IBM FlashSystem Review

Its features and reliability are one of the top tiers on the market right now

What is our primary use case?

We are running private clouds for various customers on top of VMware with IBM on the storage layer

How has it helped my organization?

Performance is not a problem anymore and the space available is enough for about 5 years of operations. Wa are now busy with cross dc failover which will use the capabilities of this system extensively.

What is most valuable?

A valuable feature of this solution is the metro/global mirror for synchronous/asynchronous copying of data between data centres.

What needs improvement?

ISCSI/ISER Bandwidth is at 25gbps. Would be nice if that can keep track with the bandwidth currently available in new dc networking deployments.

I've been using the solution for about six months now on private cloud.

We are a 100% satisfied with the stability of the solution.

The system can be expanded with additional trays. Current we have about 2,000 users on the system. They are mostly end users, database administrator, and developers.

We are happy with the technical support.

We used hyper-converged storage in the past and the reason we switched was because the reliability was not as good as we had hoped with the bigger workloads.

The initial setup was straightforward and it took us about two days to implement it. We did everything ourselves.

What other advice do I have?

The biggest lesson we've learned so far is that hyper-converged storage is good for smaller workloads, but the re-syncing after a failure will be a problem for big workloads.

The IBM System is top-notch and offers all the features we need to keep going for another 5 years.