IBM Rational Test Workbench Review

Good reporting and interface, but supports limited types of protocols and requires low-level script editing

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use it for web-based traffic. It is on-premises. The load generators of the test drivers are virtual machines. We are using the second to the latest version.

What is most valuable?

Reporting is pretty good. Its interface is also good. I'm overall pretty happy with the functionality and use of IBM Rational Test Workbench.

What needs improvement?

It should have more interfaces. In terms of interfaces or protocols, what you can do with Rational is far limited as compared to other products out there. What it does, it does great, but it only gives you limited types of protocols. It supports between 8 to 15 types of protocols, whereas other test tools give you 20 to 30 types of protocols with which you can do testing and convert to script.

It records Javascript-based scripts, and you got to know a little bit of Java to basically be able to edit them, but the level of editing you got to do is very low. I like that, but the ability to edit the script is not as good as Parasoft or LoadRunner, which have C-Script.

I have been using this solution for about three years.

It is stable for the most part. More of my issues are related to virtual infrastructure impact than anything else.

The initial setup was straightforward.

It doesn't really concern me. Licensing is on a yearly basis.

What other advice do I have?

The only real issue I have is that it is limited in its use. If it fits your usage, it is awesome.

I would rate IBM Rational Test Workbench a seven out of ten.

More IBM Rational Test Workbench reviews from users
...who compared it with Micro Focus LoadRunner Enterprise
Find out what your peers are saying about IBM, HCL, Apache and others in Performance Testing Tools. Updated: July 2021.
523,372 professionals have used our research since 2012.