IBM Spectrum Scale Review

Offers high performance and fair pricing with excellent technical support

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for a parallel file system. I have one big file system for a thousand or so users.

What is most valuable?

The high performance of the solution is its most valuable aspect. If you compare it to other storage solutions, it's much better.

The pricing is pretty good.

What needs improvement?

The solution would benefit from being simplified.

The scalability could be a bit better. It needs to be more flexible when it comes to expanding.

It would be helpful if there was a graphical user interface that could walk you through the deployment process. The instructions surrounding setup aren't the best. They need to be more step-by-step.

We've been working with the solution for a couple of years at this point.

The solution is pretty scalable. I'd rate it a ten out of ten for scaling.

I've contacted technical support in the past. I've had a couple of cases that I've had to pass to them to assist with, and they were great. They are knowledgable and responsive.

They are also really helpful with a variety of things. I remember once I had to download some software to demo, IBM technical support gave me a demo without charging me. It was a very nice gesture.

The initial setup is pretty complex. It's not too straightforward.

To deploy it, it takes about one week.

I'd rate the deployment process at a six out of ten.

I didn't need a consultant or reseller to assist in the initial setup. I handled the implementation myself.

The pricing isn't too expensive. It's reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

We're partners with IBM.

We use both on-premises and hybrid deployment models.

I'd rate the solution overall at eight out of ten.

I don't know too many other products, however, I'd recommend either IBM or NetApp to others to use if they need a similar solution for their company.

More IBM Spectrum Scale reviews from users
...who compared it with NetApp Cloud Volumes ONTAP
Find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Red Hat, Nutanix and others in Software Defined Storage (SDS). Updated: July 2021.
523,372 professionals have used our research since 2012.