IBM SPSS Modeler Review

Simple to implement, great automation and very user friendly due to it being clearly set out

What is our primary use case?

The solution can be used for many projects, mainly for sophisticated data. It's applicable when you're dealing with a lot of data, for example, we're now dealing with a cancer related project, trying to figure out how we can build a predictive model. We're also using it at the university to predict the courses our students will follow. It helps with preparation related to capacity. We use the solution for both educational and research purposes. I have some students that I'm supervising for data mining and I teach this solution. I'm interested in data science in general. I'll be publishing a book on the subject in Arabic. I'm an associate professor of statistics and we are customers of IBM.

What is most valuable?

I like the automation and that this product is very organized and easy to use. I think these features can be found in many products but I like IBM Modeler because it's very clear about how to use it. There are many other good features and I discovered something that I haven't seen in other software. It's the ability to use two different techniques, one is the regression technique and the other is the neural network. With IBM you can combine them in one node. It improves the model which is a big advantage.

What needs improvement?

Dimension reduction is very important, especially if you are working with millions of recordings and thousands of variables. It exists already, but it should be classified separately. The solution could be improved by adding a feature for statistical analysis like processes. They have some in the output, but not in the modes itself. I hope they can add statistical knowledge to the solution.

I've been using this solution since it was called Clementine, so it's been about nine years already.

This solution is stable.

Scalability is good although we use a limited amount of data. It is not like millions of records and it is based on the speed of the computer, the personal computer itself. I think it can handle huge data.

Initial installation is very quick and straightforward. It can take up to half an hour. I carry out the installation.

There is a basic fee and you pay extra for added features. You'll need to use Linux which also adds to the price.

We looked at other options but it was clear that IBM was the simplest solution to deal with because of its organization. You have the three main topics of data mine: data science as in association, segmentation and clustering. IBM has it organized for each branch and the added advantage of having an automated icon. If someone is not expert at this technique then this program can deal with maybe up to eight different models and you can pick the one you want.

What other advice do I have?

They offer a four-week trial which is maybe enough time to study the product. It really is very good.

I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.

More IBM SPSS Modeler reviews from users
Find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Knime, SAS and others in Data Mining. Updated: January 2021.
455,164 professionals have used our research since 2012.