IBM SPSS Modeler Review

User-friendly, and it gives you a lot of visibility through features like comparing fiscal quarters

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is the analysis of economic impact.

How has it helped my organization?

We are using this product for analysis of an exhibition center. It is releasing a lot of media and Modeler assesses how the shows were in the last six months. When it comes to a relative comparison between two quarters, this tool gives you very accurate numbers, which are then reflected in the media release that goes out.

What is most valuable?

I think the tool is very helpful in terms of, when you work on a foothold, you can compare how many people came into the center between fiscal periods. You take two quarters and compare them and this tool is ideal because it gives you a lot of visibility on the before and after. It provides graphs for you to actually see how the impact has been on the financial side.

It's a user-friendly tool.

What needs improvement?

I think that Modeler needs to be more commercially effective because, of the competing tools, some of them are free and others are available at a very nominal cost.

When you are not using the product, such as during the pandemic where we had worldwide lockdowns, you still have to pay for the licensing. It is just wasting the term and they should have suspended the fees and extended the licensing timeline. Essentially, you can't stop it, even if you're not using it, and it is a little difficult to accept the cost in such situations.

What we really need is some flexible terms with respect to the renewal or a break from the strict license timeline.

We have been using Modeler for between seven and eight years.

This is a pretty stable solution. The end-users and other people with hands-on experience are very happy with this tool. It has not let us down in the past and we have not really experienced any downtime.

It is simple for us to maintain because all we have to do is renew the key every year. It does not require any support, maintenance, or patch upgrades. It's just there, and as long as the renewal is done, we have access to run the tool and perform different combinations of impact assessment.

I think that it is pretty scalable, based on what I have heard from the team. However, we don't really have a need for that. We have two main uses who take on different directions of research and insight into different areas of study.

A small enterprise might not need this product because the cost for the renews of the license is pretty high. Because of this, smaller organizations would be better off with an open-source or free online tool to do their work. For large organizations, because you need stability and you need the reliability of data, I think this product is definitely required.

We have not needed to contact technical support. Once the system is configured, the key will give you access. I do not have downtime or major breakdowns. As long as you know what you need to do with it, the tool is fine.

It is a challenge because you can't switch a tool just like that, because you've been using the tool for a while, and then obviously familiarization with something which is new takes some time. You have to go through the whole experience of how good and effective the new tool is. So, sometimes the business doesn't allow you to really look at a switch.

The first time you implement this product, you need an implementation partner. I remember that it was pretty expensive. You go through a one-time on-premises deployment and configuration cost, and then it is just the renewal after that.

An authorized IBM reseller in the region assisted us with the deployment.

This tool, being an IBM product, is pretty expensive.

Our license key is renewed on a yearly basis.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this product, although it depends on the nature of the business. Those in the public sector or semi-government organizations who are supposed to report a lot of impact assessment from different perspectives such as healthcare and education will have pretty decent output and results.

We have been happy with this tool, although now the times have changed. There is some commercial pressure for us to implement something that is cheaper.

More IBM SPSS Modeler reviews from users
...who compared it with KNIME
Find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Knime, SAS and others in Data Mining. Updated: September 2021.
536,114 professionals have used our research since 2012.