IBM Storwize Review

Virtualization and Data Migration help make management of IT environment easier

What is our primary use case?

Using IBM storwize V7000 as storage to be used in daily operation as well using the virtualization capability along with doing data migrations of old storage data.

How has it helped my organization?

IBM Storwize It makes management of the IT environment much easier,

High availability and enhanced security; Proven dependability; Data compression with hardware acceleration; Advanced copy services features are all in this product.

Thanks to the product's benefits.

What is most valuable?

Virtualization and Data Migration.

V7000 is built with IBM Spectrum Virtualized software, which is part of the IBM Spectrum Storage family.

V7000 software:

• Provides a single or multiple pool(s) of storage
  • Provides logical unit virtualization
  • Manages logical volumes
  • Mirrors logical volumes

V7000 hardware provide the below features:

• Large scalable cache: thru IO groups methodology
  • Copy services: metro mirror, global mirror, Data Migration, point in time copy, active-active copy (Hyperwap)
  • Space management: thin provisioning, Easy Tier, and compression

The Storwize V7000 nodes in a clustered system operate as a single system and present a single point of control for system management and service.

What needs improvement?

GUI interface should be enhanced more as there is some issues in copy services GUI interfaces should be enhanced as this will not let the customer doing wrong configurations

Still implementing.

Yes, some bugs in the system, like nodes warm-started.

Nine out of 10.

No, I have only used used IBM solutions.

Two methods of initial setup are straightforward, either by using USB port through Init tool or by using the technical port. sgafd

In-House implementation

• Easy Tier
  • FlashCopy
  • Remote Mirroring
  • Compression

IBM V7000 has a new license and price structure which provides intuitive licensing based on the functions customers wish to enable and use the most.

What other advice do I have?

I advise everyone to have a look at their current use of storage and think of single management and live migrations of their data, and how they will save money instead of having multiple vendors to reinstall and migrate data.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are an IBM Business Partner.
1 visitor found this review helpful