IBM Storwize Review

SRM, Highly Scalable, multivendor backend storage support, Easy Migration Path

What is our primary use case?

In a bank.

How has it helped my organization?

- Migration efforts - Site recovery using SRM - Highly scalable while backend storage can be of many vendors - Ideal solution if you have a mixed intel/power infrastructure Ease of use

What is most valuable?

• Migration effort
  • Site recovery plan.

What needs improvement?

- CLI though intuitive, no other API available - Lacks scheduling or a cron - Has no built in short term performance graphs - IBM TPC overexceeds the montoring needs, had to fall back on Stor2RRd - Support response times are bad -

Node conditions in specific workload conditions might trigger a node reset.

- Multivendor support for backend storage - Clustering and adding in another IO--group - supports many shelves, large disks, several clusters

- Bad response times

IBM SVC -> HP 3PAR -> Storwize v7000f

- Easy and straighforward

- selfserviced

Biggest return is the easy migration/upgrade path as well as the scalability options - IBM added in compression and deduplication in its portfolio, as well as Garbage collection and space reclamation.

- setup cost is cheap as you can do it yourself - IBM SVC licensing on non IBM back-end storage used to cost a lot in terms of licenses per shelf or even per TB. The equipment on itself is relatively cheap. Watch out for license costs !

- HPE 3PAR StoreServe - EMC Unity