IBM Tivoli Business Service Manager Review
The most valuable feature for my team is the ability to taken event feeds from all/any source tool and put them in a single pane of glass. It's being replaced for our work by another Tivoli tool.

Primary Use Case

My team discontinued use of TBSM and moved to its replacement DASH, in early 2017.  Although we still rely on it as our fail-over/back-up Event Presentation console, we have moved to another vendor product that provide Event Analysis and Incident Isolation via automation.

Improvements to My Organization

Being able to manage the entire flow of events firing on alerts set in so many source consoles, let my team correlate seemingly disparate break points and jump out to the source tool for trending and issue isolation.

Valuable Features

TBSM is a rock, and our house would have crumbled without it. The most valuable feature for my team is the ability to taken event feeds from all/any source tool (we leverage 20+) and put them in a single pane of glass. Since we also have an extensive Tivoli Framework implemented, we have auto-ticket info passed into our console as well.

Room for Improvement

TBSM is being replaced for our work by another Tivoli tool - DASH. This replacement will address the biggest area of improvement. We need the most commonly leveraged real-time metric trends from the source tools in the same pane of glass as the event stream is presenting, and DASH gives a way to do that with logical grouping by type & app.

Use of Solution

More than five years.

Yes, Event Storms and other less traumatic triggers the JVM to hang requiring recycles.

You get the service you pay for or none at all. IBM makes its margins on services not software.

See above

3 Comments

Russell RothsteinUser

Randall what are other solutions that people should include in their short list when considering this solution?

Like (0)29 May 17
Randall HindsReal UserELITE SQUADTOP 5

Hello Russell, I missed your question until just now; Apologies for the late response.

Just in the last few years, several solutions have come to match and/or exceed what TBSM/DASH provide. Keeping in mind that Tivoli is a framework of products that would arguably have offerings to match competing solutions, there are two companies that have solutions which break away from the old "event presentation/aggregation" only space.

Moogsoft, Big Panda and even Pager Duty offer solutions that are jockeying out to the front of the pack with Event Analysis, Issue Correlation, & Automated Isolation features that be well beyond merely aggregating alert events from multiple sources into a presentation layer.

Like (0)08 January 18