IBM Tivoli NetCool Review

Good for monitoring and good integration, however has a complex setup

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for monitoring. We're using a Tivoli stack.

What is most valuable?

The solution has very good integration capabilities.

What needs improvement?

The solution is too expensive.

The product isn't the easiest to use. There's a lot of complexity and it isn't easy to manage.

The initial setup is not straightforward.

The product needs to provide better documentation to the users.

I've been using the solution for a while at this point. It's been about five years or so.

There are always a few bugs here and there. However, the main thing is that IBM is no longer investing in the solution anymore. Therefore, no bug fixes will be coming for those that still exist.

We have about 50 users on the solution currently.

As IBM is no longer investing in the solution, we won't be expanding usage.

IBM could improve its technical support in general. Their response times are pretty slow. I would say that we aren't fully satisfied with the level of service provided to us as users.

We didn't find the initial setup to be straightforward. It was rather complex, in fact. The documentation was just not that good and it made the process challenging.

The deployment process took a year. It wasn't too fast.

We have two engineers that assist in the maintenance of the solution currently.

The product is pretty costly. It's definitely not the least expensive option. We find the price to be too high.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a business relationship with IBM.

I wouldn't necessarily suggest this product to others. There are other products right now that may be lighter in deployment and a lot less expensive.

Overall, I would rate the solution six out of ten. I'd rate it higher if they offered more integration potential, or, alternatively, if they create done cohesive product and offered more monitoring software without some many other parts.

More IBM Tivoli NetCool reviews from users
...who compared it with HPE Intelligent Management Center
Find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Micro Focus, Broadcom and others in Network Management Applications. Updated: February 2021.
464,757 professionals have used our research since 2012.