Micro Focus Data Protector Review

It will do both physical and virtual backups, but not GRE backups.

What is most valuable?

ZDB, and instant recovery. Also, it will do both physical and virtual backups with Hyper-V and ESXi.

How has it helped my organization?

Using the backup storage snapshot functionality we are able to back up 2T databases and 2T file storage fast.

What needs improvement?

Hyper-V backups need improvement so they can do GRE.

I've used it for five years.

We have a very complex and unusual environment so it took a while to get things working.

Since we started using v5, stability has improved quite a bit.

This has also improved since earlier versions.

We have very good customer service.

We pay for premier support and it is great, but it's not so good if you just have regular support.

We used Tivoli and it did not work well in our environment. Data Protector was cheaper and would do what we needed to do.

It was complex. We had a consultant in for several weeks to get us working. We needed to get the ZDB type, and virtual backups working. The file system backups were no problem.

We had a vendor team, and the main person is still the most knowledgeable one I know for what we needed.

You get what you pay for so don’t skimp.

We had it included in a large purchase we were making at the time.

What other advice do I have?

If you are just doing straight file system backups, this product is straightforward, but if you use any of the many features I would suggest getting help. The interface could be improved and it doesn’t have some things that other products do, but it would depend on what you need from your backups/restores and what your window is.

More Micro Focus Data Protector reviews from users