Micro Focus Data Protector Review

The most valuable feature for me is its flexibility as it has a solution for almost every situation in which we want to backup something.

Valuable Features

The most valuable feature for me is its flexibility. Data Protector has a solution for almost every situation in which we want to backup something.

Improvements to My Organization

The best and biggest improvement for us is that we can rely on the backups it provides. It saves us a lot of time which we can use for other things.

Room for Improvement

The biggest area of improvement for Data Protector would be the proper functioning and ease of configuration of clients behind firewalls and other security mechanisms.

I also think that the license model should be more open and flexible.

Use of Solution

I've used it for almost 10 years now.

Overall, deployment was fine except for one major issue that was very annoying -- the proper functioning and ease of configuration of clients behind firewalls and other security mechanisms.

No, we haven't had any stability issues over the years.

We haven't had any issues with scalability. Higher scalability is reached by purchasing more licenses.

We haven't had to deal with customer much. We buy licenses, etc. through an HP partner.

Technical service is quite good. When we had a problem, it was solved in an appropriate time either by HP support or an HP partner.

Most of the backups were executed by scripts. We switched because it was hard to oversee all the different backups on each machine which also made reporting difficult to handle.

The initial setup was rather complex because we had many different systems to include. But in the end, everything went fine.

Implementation Team

Our implementation was done by a vendor team or HP partner. They were very skilled and I learned the basics.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

I would say that some licenses are quite expensive and it is not a cheap product, but it is worth it. The features, flexibility, and robustness of Data Protector speaks for itself.

Other Solutions Considered

We tried other products but we do not share more information about them.

Other Advice

My advice is, make yourself comfortable with the white papers and best practices. If it is a basic installation, try the installation for yourself. If it is more complex, use a HP Partner. And don’t forget the care pack.