Micro Focus Data Protector Review

I like that the recovery of individual files is a quick process. Exporting our internal database from our named site manage to disaster recovery site manager could be made easier.

Valuable Features

The most valuable feature is the ability to recover individual files. It's a quick process that takes very little time. It also provides the ability to manage other tape backup systems remotely from a centralized server.

Improvements to My Organization

It's given us the flexibility to recover individual files, which is important to us because we have a lot of end users who have the tendency to accidentally delete files on the shared drives. We're able to locate which tape the files are on. It's a pretty straightforward process.

Room for Improvement

We have a disaster recovery site and I'm trying to figure out how to export the internal database from our named site manage to disaster recovery site manager, that took some time. I wrote a script that's working, but it's kind of a cumbersome script to export the internal database and import it in our disaster recovery site. I have that script going everyday. If something happens, we have the latest database with our recovered data at a different site. But this is not a good process, so it would be good to have it streamlined.

Use of Solution

I've used it for five months.

We've had no issues deploying it.

It's been pretty stable. I haven't had any instances of crashes.

We've had no issues scaling it.

Technical support is OK. They helped me with exporting our internal database. They responded to me within a reasonable time, but the person with whom I spoke didn't really know how to do or understand what I was doing. I had to figure it out on my own.

Other Advice

Learning the ins and outs of the application itself will take some time to wrap your head around, but once you do it's pretty easy to manage overall. It's a pretty straightforward product.