Micro Focus Data Protector Review

File system backup is the most valuable feature. Integration with the market applications must be improved.

How has it helped my organization?

The simplicity of the software since when it was deployed makes the training easy for the backup operators (there is a big rotation of employees in this area).

What is most valuable?

The file system backup (by far, the most used) is the most valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

Integration with the market applications must be improved, such as MS Exchange, MS Active Directory, SAP and Oracle. Other backup tools are more efficient with the integrated backups.

We encountered some stability issues. Before 2014, the system run over HPE-UX platform when some software issues were recurrent. After it moved to the x86 platform, these were reduced a lot (almost to zero).

There were some scalability issues. In the older version 7.0, we reached the clients limit (500, if I'm not wrong).

I would rate the technical support a six out of 10. The ticket takes too long to be forwarded to the superior levels of support.

Since I have been working in my company, we have been using this software.

The setup was simple, i.e., both the setup and the administration are simple. That's one of the advantages (maybe the only one) of the HPE Data Protector.

Before, we did not look at other solutions, but now we are analyzing other solutions, e.g., probably Veeam, Commvault and Veritas.

What other advice do I have?

The HPE Data Protector may not be enough to support your RPO/RTO needs, specifically for application integrated backups. Possibly, some complementary solutions will also be needed.