Micro Focus Data Protector Review

Supports multiple operating systems but lacks backup testing before recovery

How has it helped my organization?

For backup testing, previously it was taking a long time, because we needed to restore all the machines and systems. Now, testing the backup machines is very fast.

What is most valuable?

It's supports Unix, Linux, all of the OS's. It's very stable software, we have been using it for many years now. It's great.

What needs improvement?

The new backup systems are using new mechanisms for the recovery phases; for example, VM, recovery and testing the backup before recovering it. These features are not available in Data Protector. What we need to see is fast recovery and testing of backups.

The second thing is the license type. Because in Data Protector, if you need extra features, you need to buy the agents for these features. Some of the features are Terabytes, some of them are agents. There's some complexity in the pricing and licensing.

It's stable, but there are times when you need to open a ticket with vendor support. It is stable but when you are using any system, you need to open tickets from time to time.

No problem with the scalability. There are many agents, anything I need, I can buy agents and do it with Data Protector. It's very scalable. But it's costly when we need to scale it.

Data Protector is great software, but after we started getting support from Micro Focus, it was taking too much time, there was too much delay. That's why we are thinking of testing other backup software. It used to be helpful and very good. But with Micro Focus, now it's taking more time.

I wasn't directly involved but I think it was straightforward, because the integrator who did the installation was an expert.

Commvault and Veeam, these are the options on the shortlist. We haven't made a decision because there are new features being added by Micro Focus to Data Protector. We need to see if the new features and updates - maybe up until the end of this year - cover our needs. Perhaps we will not change backup software. But if we find that no, there is still complexity in recovering and testing the backups, then we will choose one of the two above options.

We requested a PoC from the vendors, just to see the features that are now available.

What other advice do I have?

When selecting a vendor, first of all we need local support, here in our country, so that we don't need to open tickets with the vendor every time. A lot of times we need to open a ticket with local integrators. This is how we choose our backup software.

A lot of the backup solutions have the same features or the features are similar, because when one of them adds a feature, the others, after a few months are are adding the same thing. So mainly, we're based on the local integrator, who is providing the support and who is doing the implementation, who has very good experience. Based on comparison ratings, we haven't found a lot of difference between, for example, the Commvault and Veeam.

If you have a complex environment, if you have different OS's - Linux, Unix, Windows - if you have backup to disk, Data Protector is a very good choice to cover the whole environment. But it will cost you a lot of money.

If you need to use more than one backup software, use Commvault and Veeam for the VM environment. I have been told that Commvault is very good with physical servers and other OS's, and this is why we need to test it.