Micro Focus Data Protector Review

Protects valuable assets, but the reliability needs to be enhanced

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is backing up our data and restoring it when required.

How has it helped my organization?

Our company assets are information and data. The product protects these valuable assets.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the protection of our data with the backup capability and performance.

What needs improvement?

Make it simpler to use, integrate with as many applications as possible, and improve the dashboard.

More than five years.

It is stable to a point, but it has room for improvement. I would not call it a very stable solution.

The product is scalable, but it depends on the vendor's license as well as the customer's infrastructure.

The support is not good and they should really work to enhance the customer support experience.

Data Protector was our original solution. It shipped with our HP Printer.

I found the initial setup to be ok. I would not say simple or complex, but medium.

Our goal is to have the simplest possible solution that will work without extra effort.

The product was part of the backup solution that shipped with our HP printer, so we did not record a vendor implementation.

I would not recommend this product to my colleagues.

We have looked at several including Cobalt, Upline, Veritas Backup Exec, and Dell EMC.

What other advice do I have?

If a company has no protection for their data and information then they need this product. However, the reliability needs to be enhanced.

Micro Focus needs to fix the current issues by working closely with customers to determine how it is that we can help.

Overall, I would rate this product a six out of ten.