Micro Focus Data Protector Review

Enables us to back up file data but it needs better UI Design for Ease of Use & Deployment

What is our primary use case?

I use the Micro Focus Data Protector for our corporate data backup requirements. That is the main business need for this product by our company.

How has it helped my organization?

I don't like any function of the Micro Focus Data Protector. Honestly, I hate the Micro Focus Data Protector. It's not really good.

What is most valuable?

I have used Micro Focus Data Protector for the file backup facilities. My primary use of the software is to backup file data.

What needs improvement?

The software needs to redesign the UI and they should organize the functions so that they are much easier to use. It's very hard to understand how to use the software.

Three to five years.

Micro Focus Data Protector is stable. I have one customer using it. The data center utilizes it.

It is scalable. We use it for our data center and website.

We haven't contacted the technical support with Micro Focus.

The initial setup is very complex. It's hard to understand how the components work together and how each component is related together. I read a lot of information but I still don't really understand MFDP. I don't spend much time on it, therefore it's hard to understand.

The information about MFDP is easy, but the application of it is not easy. When I deploy the software, I only understand it because I have written down all the information.

It just takes a few hours to finish the installation and the configuration.

I have deployed Micro Focus Data Protector myself with some technical issues and problems.

What other advice do I have?

The Micro Focus Data Protector solution is not really good, but it is "good enough" that it can help our client requirements. If I compare Micro Focus Data Protector with other solutions, MFDP just does not have enough complexity in the UI.

On a scale from 1 to 10, I would give Micro Focus Data Protector a seven. They should design the solution so that it is much easier for deployment and make the UI easy to use.