Micro Focus Data Protector Review

An excellent product for enterprises that offers unlimited scalability

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature for me is the duplication.

With Micro Focus, which works with the HP hardware, you don't need to use interfaces. With other solutions like Backup Exec, etc., you have to run an additional API in the background. It impacts your systems. It's not the same when you are using Micro Focus directly with the HP hardware. This solution is more efficient. If you use another solution, you need to use an additional API. The people who designed Micro Focus were from HP, which is why they work so well together.

What needs improvement?

The solution would be improved if it would work with OpenStack.

People prefer Veeam because the interface is easier, and Data Protector is difficult in comparison.

Data Protector is beginning to integrate virtual machines. Customers, however, find it more comfortable to work on a virtual machine, for example, with Veeam Backup. They find it easier, once again, because the interface is easier.

I've been using the solution for ten years.

Stability isn't perfect. You have issues from time to time.

I'm working on multiple cases, so I'm able to see what is not working with the software. Micro Focus, however, continues to refine the product, which is one of the strengths of the solution. They have new versions every month to fix problems. We advise clients from time to time to upgrade to improve stability.

With new installations, incidents can occur sometimes. If you have an incident that affects the backup server, it can impact the software and create a bug. There are people from Micro Focus - high-level people - that can help and take control of the solution remotely to troubleshoot issues.

Regarding scalability, it's unlimited with Data Protector. You can link multiple installations and let them work together. They can share backup devices. You have many possibilities with Data Protector. It's very proficient.

I didn't previously use a different solution.

The initial setup is complex. You have software to install on all of the machines and communication to set, including security communication. It's a delicate process, and it's not something common and easy to do. Normally we plan downtime with the customer. For a big enterprise, we take nearly a week to upgrade the solution.

Occasionally, we have problems when upgrading. Sometimes there's something that's not automated and you need a specialized person that can do the upgrade or the installation for you.

We installed the solution. We are an integrator.

What other advice do I have?

We essentially handle enterprise solutions. We work with enterprises that have their own cloud and machines to back up their systems.

I would rate this solution ten out of ten.

If you are an enterprise, and you need a strong backup solution, Micro Focus is for you. For me, it's the best.