Microsoft Azure Application Gateway Review

Needs better security and functionality, and requires more intelligence to make it competitive

What is our primary use case?

We primarily used the solution to try to protect a few internet-facing applications that we had.

What is most valuable?

The solution was very easy to configure. It wasn't hard at all to adjust it to our needs.

What needs improvement?

The functionality needs a lot of improvement.

The security of the product could be adjusted.

The scalability needs improvement.

Overall, it just wasn't a great product. It was lacking in a lot of areas.

Just watching the industry, it could be that Microsoft, is going to have to give more resources to it in order to make it work. Microsoft knows a lot about software. They're going to have to get more resources into it and add people and time to it to make it competitive. They may even need to consider some sort of acquisition to bring in new tech. Right now, the solution just isn't there in terms of what is needed and expected.

The solution simply has to be more comparable to other leading product s at this point. It's just lacking the overall intelligence to compete.

We've been playing around with the solution for about a year at this point.

The stability is good from the standpoint of it works like it was intended to work. That said, it's not really functional enough to be able to have any type of confidence in it. If stability for a company just means that it stands there and it does what it's supposed to do, then, from that standpoint, it's stable.

In terms of scalability, we looked at a lot of different things, and put a lot of work in, including meeting with Microsoft. However, truth be told, we know and Microsoft knows that the product is just not where it needs to be. It's not a secret. Therefore, I wouldn't say it's completely scalable.

Currently, there may be a few hundred people on the solution.

Microsoft has been with us throughout the process, and they've been pretty good from a technical support standpoint. We're satisfied with the level of service we have been provided.

We didn't previously use a different solution.

The initial setup was straightforward. It wasn't complex.

In terms of the configuration, one of the things users have to understand is that the configuration is very specific. Our knowledge may have slowed the process, however, I don't think it was a bad configuration process. We probably got it done and then tested it over the course of a month, or a few months, or so. That was just testing. Looking at everything within the configuration for what we needed only takes - it end to end - a day.

It doesn't take a genius to get everything up and running. You need a technical person that can follow the directions because you do have things outside of the software that has to be considered, however, it really doesn't take a genius to do it.

We only need three people to maintain the solution and deploy any updates.

I don't handle the billing aspect of the solution, therefore I don't know anything about the licensing costs for it.

What other advice do I have?

We're a customer. We don't have a business relationship with Microsoft.

We tend to use the latest versions of the solution.

I wouldn't recommend the solution. I'd advise others to look for something else on the market that has access to a cloud.

I'd rate the solution one out of ten. It's a security product that needs to be functional, and at this point, it's simply not.

More Microsoft Azure Application Gateway reviews from users
...who work at a Comms Service Provider
...who compared it with Radware Fastview
Find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, F5, HAProxy and others in Application Delivery Controllers (ADC). Updated: July 2021.
523,535 professionals have used our research since 2012.