Microsoft Azure Application Gateway Review

An excellent gateway solution with good control capabilities and great stability

What is our primary use case?

The gateway is used to make the application connect to the internet and apply some firewall rules on Layer 7. We primarily use Azure Gateway for printers, some requests, and to apply some security rules to all the traffic that is coming from inside the Azure network.

What is most valuable?

We chose this solution in the first place because it has access to Layer 7. I can control the requests and the content, which I can access on my network if I want to even if it's forbidden access to other external resources. If I want to monitor, for example, traffic, and apply this rule on Layer 7, I can do so. This was our main goal when implementing this application. We wanted to take advantage of the Gateway capabilities.

What needs improvement?

The pricing of the solution is a bit high. The solution should offer different pricing systems.

I've been using the solution for two years.

The solution is stable. We've never faced any stability problems while using it.

While I believe the option to scale exists on Azure, we have never needed to scale. I can't speak to how scalable it actually is. We've had two projects on Azure and we have had as many as 5,000 users on the solution with no problem.

We've never had to deal with technical support, as I don't really use any deep technical items on the solution.

Compared to other public clouds, the price is fairly high. I'm not sure if the pricing model has changed, but I recall it being slightly more expensive.

What other advice do I have?

We are using the public cloud deployment model. We are both a customer and a reseller, but I myself have worked with Azure mainly as a customer.

I would rate the solution eight out of ten.