Microsoft BitLocker Review

Encryption that provides protection that is ideal for our cloud-based environment

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is to encrypt all of our laptops. If they are ever lost then they are useless to anybody, unless they have the key.

Our keys are stored in our Active Directory, making it impossible for anyone to decrypt what we have in our devices.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the simplicity and integration with the Microsoft Clouds platform. I can store the keys to the devices kept in my Active Directory in Microsoft Azure.

What needs improvement?

In the next generation, it could have a higher level of encryption.

I would like to be able to encrypt our cloud tenancy.

I would like to have the ability to encrypt a cloud-based server with BitLocker.

I have been using this solution for six months.

The stability is fine. It has no impact on performance or negligible impact on performance. No one notices.

The scalability is essentially unlimited.

We have 60 users who are everyone from the CEO to the standard line worker.

Everyone in our organization is encrypted with BitLocker, in addition to all of our devices.

All of our laptops, PCs, and all of our interactive devices are encrypted with BitLocker.

I have contacted Microsoft technical support for other issues and they are very responsive and very quick to follow up.

Solutions are not always there, but I find Microsoft support reasonable.

I haven't needed technical support for BitLocker.

There was no other solution in place. We deployed BitLocker because it fits within our strategy for the environment that we were building, which is a no-infrastructure infrastructure.

The initial setup was very simple.

We expected that the devices had to encrypt themselves once we initiated BitLocker.

Deploying them and having the encryption run only took a few days to implement. This was all being done in the background and no one was impacted while they worked.

We only need one staff member for deployment and no one for maintenance, as it is auto-updating from the Microsoft Cloud.

We implemented this solution internally.

The cost of this solution is bundled in with part of the subscription for the Microsoft Cloud.

We have users subscribed to Enterprise E5 and it comes with E5.

We researched a few websites for comparative encryption, but we didn't want to introduce another vendor. BitLocker satisfied all of the criteria that we had. We don't need any military-grade or any military level or anything beyond those capabilities.

What other advice do I have?

We have no infrastructure. Everything we have, our entire infrastructure, has moved and it's in the Microsoft Azure cloud.

This solution does everything that we need it to do. It is very convenient and it fits into our strategy of having everything in a homogeneous Microsoft Cloud.

It is difficult to rate anything a ten as there may be future bugs or features that may be introduced, or if someone can discover how to hack it. At this time, we feel very safe and very covered with the encryption levels that we have with BitLocker.

Microsoft Azure