Microsoft BitLocker Review

Good disk encryption, excellent manageability and very stable

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for disk encryption only.

What is most valuable?

The disk encryption is the most valuable aspect of the solution for our organization. It's the only feature we really use.

There's a lot of manageability within the solution. This is very helpful.

What needs improvement?

For our company's needs, the solution works very well.

From a retail standpoint, in terms of Microsoft licensing, you need to purchase an enterprise-level version of the licensing tool to get the level of manageability that's needed. However, this is only offered to very large enterprises.

The solution should offer encryption for other items such as shared folders, removable media, etc.

The solution should recreate the key when Windows is upgraded to a newer version.

I've been using the solution for a few years.

The solution is quite stable. Our organization hasn't faced any stability issues while using the product. There haven't been crashes, bugs or glitches. It's quite reliable.

The solution is scalable. We have around ten thousand users on it. Of those, ten are group policy administrators.

We have professional services with Microsoft and they help us if we have some problems. The Microsoft team, in general, have been very good in the past. With BitLocker, however, there hasn't been a need to reach out just yet.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a Microsoft customer. We don't have any specific relationship with the company.

Due to security concerns and company policy, we only ever use on-premises solutions.

I'm not sure which version of the solution we are using.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

More Microsoft BitLocker reviews from users
...who compared it with McAfee Complete Data Protection
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft BitLocker. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,431 professionals have used our research since 2012.