Microsoft Office SharePoint Server Review

A solution that doesn't require coding, is easy to scale, and easy to set up

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as our intranet for document and information sharing.

What is most valuable?

Let me start saying that you have two way of implementing Microsoft Office Sharepoint Server, on-premises or in the cloud. If you choose the cloud, the most valuable aspect of the solution is the fact that it doesn't require coding. You just need to configure it. You don't need to code before getting something running. It makes it very fast.

What needs improvement?

It would be nice if you could use it out of the box or have something with more CRM-like functionality. If there could be some sort-of out of the box free option within SharePoint that would be nice.

It's not easy to manage projects on it. They should work to simplify this.

Sharepoint has a limitation for certain applications. There's a limit whereby you can only have an application that allows 5,000 items on a list. When you create a list that is bigger than this, SharePoint locks you from doing anything else. You can overcome this. The administrator can just increase the limit. Of course, this is not a good practice to have. If you want to try to understand how can you make the application that does not bypass this limit there is not a clear answer from Microsoft.

This is the issue we are facing right now and we're trying to develop a solution or an algorithm that will work within the respected limits but it is not easy and Microsoft does not help. They don't have a clear explanation as to why this is, and they do not have a clear statement warning you about this. If they were just be transparent, we'd have our parameters defined and we'd be able to ensure applications adhered to them.

I've been using the solution for five or six years.

It's an enterprise-level solution, so the solution is very stable. We've never had issues.

You can scale the solution, you just need server space, or another server to expand to if you are using the on-premises version.

Ours is on the cloud, so we don't have to worry about if we have enough server space or not. We haven't had issues with scalability. We don't need to expand at this time, however.

Technical support could be improved. They are not fast enough, especially when we'll go deeper in the product itself. More complex issues make it very tough to find someone that can help you.

The initial setup isn't complex. The time it takes to deploy depends on the company. While cloud deployment is simpler, on-premises deployment is very different. You'll have a lot of work to do in that case, so it will take longer.

We use the cloud version of SharePoint, which is pretty much out of the box with Office 365, so we had nothing to install. It was already ready to run and we only had to customize the look and feel. That's it. However, we have done an installation as part of a project for a customer where they had an on-premise SharePoint server.

As a user of the solution, we pay a fee. The amount depends on the kind of office license a user buys. The fees are paid yearly. We have an enterprise-level agreement with Microsoft at this time.

What other advice do I have?

We use the cloud deployment model.

In terms of advice, I'd say that the deployment model you choose depends on how big the company is. For a small company, a hundred or so people, the best thing is the cloud option. That way, you don't have to worry about building your own infrastructure. For a bigger company, I would suggest to use on-premises deployment model because you can better manage it yourself.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.