Microsoft Office SharePoint Server Overview

Microsoft Office SharePoint Server is the #7 ranked solution in our list of top Content Collaboration Platforms. It is most often compared to Amazon WorkDocs: Microsoft Office SharePoint Server vs Amazon WorkDocs

What is Microsoft Office SharePoint Server?

Microsoft Office SharePoint Server (MOSS) is a Microsoft software portal based on the ASP.NET framework. MOSS facilitates file sharing and collaboration, social networking, Web databases and Web publishing. It is hosted by Microsoft Windows Server and is accessible through Microsoft Office or the Web.

Microsoft Office SharePoint Server is also known as Office SharePoint Server.

Microsoft Office SharePoint Server Buyer's Guide

Download the Microsoft Office SharePoint Server Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: February 2021

Microsoft Office SharePoint Server Customers

Del Monte Foods, Unicredit Leasing, Dudley Metropolitan Borough Council, Nokia Czech Republic, Perkins Eastman, JLL, ICA, óxito Software, Dorset Software, PKP Cargo, Arcapita Bank B.S.C., AVE CZ, Chesapeake Energy

Microsoft Office SharePoint Server Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Microsoft Office SharePoint Server pricing:
  • "There are some aggressive discounts offered by Microsoft for organizations that are not for profit, which we are, and it makes it quite attractive to consider."
  • "One of the reasons why we don't recommend the cloud version of SharePoint is the cost. With the on premise version, you pay for the license once. For the cloud version, there is a recurring fee. It is very expensive. They expect everyone to pay $20 or $30 per user per month."
  • "It can be expensive for on-premises deployments, especially when you have to support SQL Server as your backend database. That's where the cost comes into play. SQL Server has its own licensing, which Microsoft keeps on changing. Therefore, it can become costly. In the earlier versions of SharePoint, version 2007 or 2010, they had an express version where the SQL Server licensing was free. It wasn't like a full-blown SharePoint. It was only a slimmed-down version. It used to be whatever your hardware costs. You would install the free software and work with it, but you were very limited in what you could do in SharePoint. If you wanted the SharePoint Enterprise Server with all the bells and whistles, then you had to pay more to get the SQL Server license based on the number of users or servers. The subscription model is different for cloud deployments. Licensing is per user and per month. The cost also depends on the storage required. If you have a lot of sites or documents, then you need to expand it based on your needs."
  • "Pricing plans may be flexible depending on volume usage and your corporate relationship with Microsoft."

Microsoft Office SharePoint Server Reviews

RicardoPedro
Northern Europe IT Business Intelligence Manager at Adecco
Sep 30, 2020
Stable, integrates well with Teams, and has flexible and helpful support

What is our primary use case?

In SharePoint, you have two functionalities from my perspective. One is from a newsletter perspective and the other is from a team perspective For example; you have the SharePoint Teams and then you have the SharePoint Newsletter. SharePoint Teams allows you to create a concept as a team, whereas SharePoint you create a workspace in Power BI and also you create a channel in Microsoft Teams. That's the beauty of the full component of Office 365. When you create things, you also can expand the same functionality for the additional applications that are out of there. The SharePoint News is used… more »

• "The support from Microsoft is very quick and they are very proactive."
  • "I would like to see the integration with Teams reinforced."

What other advice do I have?

This is a product that I can recommend, although I will recommend it depending on what purpose they want it for. SharePoint has two ways it can be used. One is if you want to use it with the full suite of Office 365 with the purpose to create a small database or a small input of data, but also to create some pages, or if you need to store some information, and so on. I think it offers the advantages you need, if you are a small company, or even if you are a big company, but it depends on what you want to use it for. For example, you might want to use it as a communication channel. This works…
PaulOuimette
Director of Operations at NEOnet Inc
Apr 30, 2020
Helpful alerts, historic file version audit capability, and full integration with Office Main Apps; Microsoft continues to evolve user interface and integration

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use of this solution is for in-house staff. We have six SharePoint sites, each secured autonomously for access to content, and we have not at this time shared outside of our domain. When we have consultants or partners that need access then we provide them a local account.

• "The most valuable feature is the "Alert Me", which provides the ability to set an alert when content is either added or changed and that the alerts can be either real-time or aggregated for the day or the week."
  • "The ability to preview files in different formats should be expanded to include formats such as embedded postscript (EPS), AutoCAD, and Adobe Acrobat PDF."

What other advice do I have?

We have not yet migrated to the new user experience, but we have recently enabled some new user interface views just to make it look more modern. It provides a nicer alphabetical view of folder content and provides a more elegant menu bar at the top of the screen to give you more control. I like DocuShare from Xerox; however, because of the integration of documents stored in SharePoint to be edited by any of the Office Suite products, that overpowers and is a greater good than what DocuShare brought to the company. It is a compromise, but the compromise is a positive one because of how…
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Office SharePoint Server. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: February 2021.
466,310 professionals have used our research since 2012.
NanfaKumswa
CTO/Owner at AVAILSYS LTD
Nov 24, 2019
Good document management and the third-party add-ons enable us to achieve workflows

• "The most valuable features for us are their document management list and hybrid forms. and We also use third party ad-dons to achieve workflows and other recent apps."
  • "I think these tools do a pretty good job. There is only one area of improvement. Maybe Microsoft can invest a little bit more into the ease at which integration can be done with other third party applications."

What other advice do I have?

It's difficult to rate in general because there are so many different parts of SharePoint. As a personal collaboration, I would rate it as eight out of ten.
reviewer1390713
Management Consultant, Technical Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
MSP
Oct 15, 2020
A stable solution for document and records management

• "Document management and records management features are the most valuable."
  • "It is a bit restrictive to develop in the cloud version. A lot of features are in the cloud now, and you have to develop on the outside. As far as the platform and the programming side of things are concerned, it is moving more towards configuration management rather than programming. When we are doing solutions, we are basically just configuring it to make solutions happen rather than actually using the Visual Studio code and developing from scratch in the cloud. It is almost like creating an app. You have created an app for your phone, but the app doesn't really sit on your phone. It sits somewhere on a server, and the database sits on another server. The app is just pulling and pushing information. The whole development has changed. We used to install things directly on the server and then run the application from the server. Now, it is more of a modular architecture."

What other advice do I have?

A majority of enterprises are moving to the cloud now. However, a lot of on-premises deployment companies are still reluctant to go to the cloud because the data centers are all across the world. When you have different privacy laws, as compared to being subjected to the law of just one country, there is always a conflict. The nice thing about the cloud is that you don't have to worry about the hardware and backups etc. There is a lot more flexibility in the cloud, especially for mobile development. For instance, with an Office 365 subscription, you get access to a lot of apps. One of the apps…
reviewer1211799
Senior Product Manager at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Reseller
Sep 17, 2020
Collaboration works, but the product is behind in feature development and its aging GUI

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is mostly collaboration. We use it for document sharing and things of that nature.

• "It is a decent tool for collaboration, especially if you are already using other Office products."
  • "The GUI is outdated."
  • "The product is behind in development and lacks some features."

What other advice do I have?

I think SharePoint is a good tool. This is especially true if you are in the Microsoft ecosystem — as in being an Office 365 user — then SharePoint is definitely something you should look at as a solution for collaboration and file sharing. It is well integrated within the Office suite. They also have a thing called Microsoft Teams. I do not know how they are planning to use both these solutions in the field because Microsoft Teams also does quite a bit of the same stuff that SharePoint does. There is a lot of overlap. On a scale from one to ten (where one is the worst and ten is the best), I…
Giuseppe-Barillari
Delivery Manager at Gesel
Oct 16, 2019
A solution that doesn't require coding, is easy to scale, and easy to set up

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as our intranet for document and information sharing.

• "The most valuable aspect of the solution is the fact that it doesn't require coding. You just need to configure it. You don't need to code before getting something running. It makes it very fast."
  • "Technical support could be improved. They are not fast enough, especially when we'll go deeper in the product itself. More complex issues make it very tough to find someone that can help you."

What other advice do I have?

We use the cloud deployment model. In terms of advice, I'd say that the deployment model you choose depends on how big the company is. For a small company, a hundred or so people, the best thing is the cloud option. That way, you don't have to worry about building your own infrastructure. For a bigger company, I would suggest to use on-premises deployment model because you can better manage it yourself. I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.
BASIL NDOLO
Product Development Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Reseller
Oct 14, 2020
Collaboration is key for us and this fits our requirements very well

What is our primary use case?

I'm a product development manager and we are resellers of Microsoft Office SharePoint Server.

• "The collaboration, the ability for multiple users to work on a single document."
  • "The areas around security, such as protection, need to be included."

What other advice do I have?

Given the amount of time I've spent using enterprise product management solutions, Microsoft really ensures that their software is easy to use. There is readily available documentation. Support can take a while and we had to pay for it from another source, but the knowledge base for the product is really good. The community around the products is great, not just locally but even on the internet. You find user groups and communities that are using the application. I would rate this solution an eight based on how easy it is to use.
Kuldeep-Verma
Senior Consultant at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
Oct 10, 2019
User-friendly, and you can extend the features as required

What is our primary use case?

I am a consultant and this is one of the solutions that I implement for my clients. I have worked on many projects in my career and the deployment model varies. For some customers, I have used SharePoint online, while others have been on-premises. In some cases, I have used a hybrid configuration where the customer is using it online as well as on-premises.

• "The most valuable feature of this solution is the Communication Site."
  • "Many of our customers would like to see an OCR feature, so it would be very good to have this in a future release."

What other advice do I have?

The suitability of this solution depends on the customer's requirements. If they have a basic requirement for document management, I feel that SharePoint is not very stable for this. However, the workflow is good and there are many other good things. It is a complete umbrella. If you have a good team then you can easily handle it. Overall, it is a good product, and I recommend it. The only complaint we have is about the lack of OCR capability. It is really difficult to convince a customer who wants a document management system that this solution is right for them. I would rate this solution an…
See 12 more Microsoft Office SharePoint Server Reviews