Microsoft System Center Review

We've implemented some of its family of features, such as SCCM, SCOM, SCVMM, and DPM, which have been valuable to us. But, the DPM function could be improved compared to its backup competitors.

One Really powerfull product is System Center.

With my team we implemented the System Center family such as SCCM, SCOM, SCVMM, and DPM.

• System Center is a full product that can work together and do a lot of cool things such as monitoring ٍservers and even non-Microsoft products such as routers, switches and Linux machines using System Center Operation Manager. You can use SCOM to send emails or view very detailed alerts or even take an action (although this will need some configuration with System Center Orchestrator). You can do many things with SCOM and be aware of every component in your infrastructure environment. I consider SCOM the second powerful server in the system center family.
  • With System Center Configuration manager you can Manage PCS and servers, keep their software updated, set configuration, set security polices, and monitor system status. In my mind, I see the this as the best product in System Center.
  • System Center VMM is a management server for your Hyper-V servers thats allows you to configure and manage all of them and your storage resources. To create and deploy VMs and services, you only need System Center VMM without needing to go to each Hyper-V server and create your virtual machine, etc. You can also create a VM template so that when creating a new VM, you don't need to configure everything from the beginning. It's a really stable server that makes managing Hyper-V servers easy.
  • DPM is used for backing up your servers. In my opinion, DPM needs a lot of improvements to its limitations. There are a lot of stronger DPMs, such as Veeam, Symantec Bakcups, and more. But to be fair, having DPM is better than not having a backup solution compared to the expense you will spend on other products.

This is not all of System Center's products, but I mentioned what I have used and know. I hope that this information is useful for you. Thanks.

1 Comment
Network Engineer at XCOM Managed ServicesReal User

It is a lot of work to deploy. Document during this protracted deployment. That documentation will serve you well.

27 September 16