MySQL Review

Feature-rich, cost-effective, and allows us to implement clustered solutions

What is most valuable?

MySQL gives us all of the critical features that we need in a database, but without the costs.

The most valuable feature is that we can implement clustered solutions.

What needs improvement?

I would like to have features that allow us to jump between the cloud and our on-premises system.

I have been using MySQL for about 20 years.

MySQL is a very stable product.

I know that it is scalable, and in fact, that is why we chose it. We always have it in mind that in some number of years, you have to scale the solution to something different in terms of architecture.

As it is now, our databases are not big. They are critical, but not large in size. We are not dealing with Big Data.

We have never contacted Oracle for MySQL support.

The documentation that is available is enough for my needs.

This was the first database solution that we used. I have used other database products such as Oracle, for example. Oracle comes at a heavy cost.

This is an open-source product that can be used free of charge.

This is the product that was proposed to us and we implemented it.

What other advice do I have?

MySQL is a product that I can strongly recommend. However, it is important for you to have the in-house knowledge to support it. Some level of in-house expertise is necessary, otherwise, you will have to rely only on external opinions. In my opinion, that's not good. Sometimes they have good intentions but don't understand the reality.

I cannot give MySQL a perfect rating because we don't use all of the features. That said, I can tell you that I am totally satisfied with it. It's a very stable product and it's something that is not difficult to deal with.

More MySQL reviews from users