MySQL Review
One of the best Databases on the market today.

Valuable Features:

MySQL is open source, highly extensible and scalable, and is available from a web interface via PHPMyAdmin, which is excellent because it's platform independent.In almost all instances that I have used MySQL, it has handled whatever I threw at it and hasn't failed me yet.

Room for Improvement:

It is a community driven project, which means that support is sometimes scarce and hard to find. Also, it really doesn't have an IDE per-se, like MSSQL does.

Other Advice:

I use MySQL on a regular basis, specifically whenever I am managing or installing a Wordpress instance. Combined with PHPMyAdmin, MySQL is an excellent database solution for small to medium sized businesses or installations. I would recommend using a better supported database like Oracle or MSSQL for mission critical tasks on an enterprise level, but MySQL is completely capable of performing the same tasks as those other databases.

4 Comments

it_user3870VendorLEADERBOARD

Your absolutely right!

It is an excellent database solution for small/medium sized installations, but when it gets to hosting databases that need a form of resiliency it starts to get a wee bit difficult.

MySQL replication is easy to accomplish however, to maintain - its a night mare. If there was a good web/gui interface that could centrally manage replication, event logging etc. Then it would be the perfect database engine to use for deploying any database required application.

Wissam

30 May 13
it_user1068VendorLEADERBOARD

I have used this program for several years (designing the databases and managing them), there is something I have never tried out. Is it possible to export an existing mySQL database to another database program like maybe SQL?

30 June 13
it_user6903ConsultantTOP 5

Agreed that people are successfully using MySQL in large production systems and some of my observations where we can think about alternate solutions and Oracle being a good one. Oracle can be preferred for following issues from my experience:- It is not easy to "simulate" transactions in client code.
If you don't enforce the constraints it is really easy to get inconsistent state of the db, without Fulltext Search you might get crazy with OR X LIKE %v%, You have to create BEFORE UPDATE TRIGGER with RAISE ERROR for CHECK CONSTRAINT, performance when data becomes too large, situation where more than 3 joins are there etc.

01 July 13
kapilmalik1983ConsultantTOP REVIEWER

MySQL can be integrated with LAMP/WAMP, web applications and number of programming languages. It is widely used for phpadmin and wordpress now a days.

27 July 13