MySQL Review
MySQL is undoubtedly one of the best open-source database products available. It's fast, easy to use and very reliable.

Valuable Features:

MySQL has established itself not only as the most popular open-source database, but the most reliable one as well. In my more than six years as system administrator managing various websites and web servers, MySQL has been our server of choice for web applications. It wouldn't be acquired by Oracle if it did not see it that way too.What I like most about MySQL is that it's relatively easy to install, fast, lightweight and reliable. It's available for both Windows and Linux, making it a very good alternative to other open source databases back then, which only runs on Linux. PostgreSQL for example did not have a Windows installer before. This made it very difficult to adopt it for mixed-OS environments and that is why we use MySQL.

Room for Improvement:

Back in the days, our only gripe about MySQL was that it was a purely command-line based system. We don't really see it as disadvantage though, as it allowed it to be fast and very reliable. This has been addressed through the years with graphical management systems for MySQL. MySQL is a highly recommended product. I give it five stars as it really gets the job done without much of a hassle. Being available for the many platforms also makes it a very compelling choice for mixed-OS environments, as data migration can just be as easy as backing-up and restoring on another server even on different operating systems.

Other Advice:

Just be ready though to work at the command line should you wish to use MySQL in its free form. It may not be the most intuitive user interfaces available, but it also makes MySQL a simple yet very reliable database for most people's needs.

3 Comments

it_user4401VendorPOPULAR

It is true, it is a purely command-line based system, but you can find on web and download some user friendly tools that are used with MySQL. I can't remember the name for any tool now, but I am sure I used one in the past.

24 February 13
it_user1068VendorLEADERBOARD

Thanks for the info Francis. I agree with you completely. In addition to being free, MySQL is reliable and very easy to use.

09 June 13
kapilmalik1983ConsultantTOP REVIEWER

MySQL is platform independent and can be run in mixed OS platform like windows, linux, ubuntu etc. It gives compatibility even over different OS during backup and restore. Data can be backed up from one OS and can be restored on other OS.

27 July 13