• It is inexpensive as compared to other common databases like Microsoft SQL Server or Oracle.
• MySQL is an extensible, open storage database engine that integrates seamlessly with a number of programming languages and other web-based technologies.
• MYSQL is an open source system under the GNU General Public License. Developers can use it at no cost as long as the associated projects are also open-source.
• Having excellent performance, MYSQL is used by many internet powerhouses like yahoo as their back-end database. MYSQL has great performance due to format of its default table, MyISAM. MyISAM databases use little disk space, memory and cpu. The system runs without flaw and perform better on all platforms including windows, Unix and Linux.
Room for Improvement:
• MySQL has a limited storage capacity. It doesn’t support large databases.
• Database transactions are not handled efficiently.
• Unlike Oracle, MySQL doesn't have Tablespace, Role management, snapshots, synonym and packages.
• For transferring data, MySQL doesn’t support other languages being executed from within the system, and neither does it supports XML.
• Compared to Oracle, MySQL database does not support any feature like Audit Vault on its server
• There is a limited scope and earning available for database administrator of MySQL.
MySQL is an open source database management system and is used by most of the most famous networking sites. It is more popular in websites and PHP integration. It can be executed under a number of operating systems like Linux, UNIX, Mac OS and Windows. MySQL supports ODBC interface which allows MySQL to be addressed by all the usual programming languages that run under Microsoft Windows.