MySQL Review

The most valuable feature is its graphical interface which allows us to do the database administration

What is most valuable?

MySQL is strongly recommended for web applications and LAMP architecture systems. The most valuable feature of this product for me is its graphical interface which allows me to do the database administration easily. Another important feature is its reliability, the decent performance, and the fact it is an open source product.

How has it helped my organization?

It gives us the opportunity to create backups of our databases easily and loop through them with minimum effort.

What needs improvement?

I think that the stored procedures and the development tools to write and debug large queries could be improved.

I have used MySQL for about 10 years.

There were no issues with stability.

There was no issue with scalability.

We have not used technical support. The community is large enough to find the solution when something comes up.

We used many SQL database solutions like PostgreSQL and SQLite and NoSQL databases like MongoDB. The choice depends on the project.

The initial setup was straightforward.

I think that the Open Source product would cover the needs of most projects. In some cases, the advanced features are needed. They could use the enterprise edition, which is reasonably priced.

We have evaluated and used different products like SQLite. It depends on the requirements and the needs of the project.

What other advice do I have?

I believe that it is the ideal solution for a variety of projects with a small learning curve compared to other solutions. It allows you to be efficient quickly.

More MySQL reviews from users
...who work at a Computer Software Company
...who compared it with SQL Server
Learn what your peers think about MySQL. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
522,281 professionals have used our research since 2012.