Nutanix Prism Review

Enables use of multiple operating systems; data duplication and compression work in a hybrid solution

What is our primary use case?

We are a company that provides services to our clients so the solution is not deployed in our company. I've deployed Nutanix in multiple environments. When deploying Nutanix, Prism is installed automatically when you create a cluster. It assists in monitoring and managing the solution.

We're service providers, selling and deploying the solution to our customers. We partner with Nutanix and I'm a technical leader.

What is most valuable?

It's helpful that you can create virtual machines using Prism, you can upgrade and replicate the firmware between two different sites using Prism Element, it's not only for monitors. The duplication and compression are good features because they also work for data in a hybrid solution. Without that, compression and duplication require a whole flash stick which increases the cost. With Nutanix it can be done even if you use a hybrid solution. You can also use multiple operating systems with Nutanix.

What needs improvement?

The solution could be improved if you combined Nutanix with AHV, because when you install Prism to manage AHV, there are a lot of commands. It might be better to integrate the commands with Prism and that would enable Prism to manage AHV. This is not currently in the command line.

I've been using this solution for two years.

Initially we had some issues with bugs in NTP because all of the environments use NTP servers with Windows not Linux. Regular maintenance of the solution requires one person.

The technical support at Nutanix is excellent, they've been extremely helpful.

The initial setup is very straightforward, you can deploy it in two hours, create a cluster with three nodes and with an operating system installed on it within two hours.

What other advice do I have?

This is a great product, easy to deploy and very stable. Even if you are using VMware or Hyper V or AHV on Nutanix, it's very stable.

I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.

Hybrid Cloud