Oracle Cloud Platform Review

Easy to get data in and out of the cloud but better tech support and documentation will make it more user-friendly

What is our primary use case?

We are not using the solution ourselves internally but for our customers.

How has it helped my organization?

Because of the fact that only our external customers make use of this solution, it hasn't really affected our organization.

What is most valuable?

What I like most about Oracle Cloud Platform is the ease of getting data in and out of the cloud and the affordable licensing.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see better documentation to make it easier to use, as well as more standard components offered in this solution. New features are being regularly added to the oracle Cloud, and this is not always reflected in the documentation. This can make the automation of the installation quite tricky. Right now there are many components in the database on-premises, but in the cloud that's limited. I would, therefore, like to see all those components that are offered on-premises, offered in the cloud as well. (e.g. APEX, Spatial, etc.)

I've been using this solution for about three years now.

So far it hasn't really been stable, but it is stable enough for our customer. Stability has improved over the years, though.

Our two customers that use this solution, have 50 and 300 users respectively. I believe it is scalable.

The technical support could be a lot better, because their reaction time is extremely slow.

The initial setup was quite complex. We wanted to do the setup with Terraform, the infrastructure's code, but the documentation was particularly bad for Terraform. Not only for Oracle but for Oracle Cloud itself. We are partners, so the installation was done by ourselves and it took us about three days. We currently have two staff to maintain and deploy it.

We also considered using Amazon and Azure.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others would be to take more time to deploy and to try and automate the deployment process. Due to the lack of proper documentation and complexity, as well as the poor tech support, I will rate this solution a six out of ten.