Oracle Cloud Platform Review

Easily upgradable but it lacks customization abilities for users

What is our primary use case?

We are using the public model of this solution. We have a strong Oracle investment in data within our reporting platform. This was a logical extension because Oracle provides seamless integration. That's why we picked it.

What is most valuable?

In terms of features, upgradeability to the latest version of Oracle suites has been a good feature. All we have to do is just patching or an upgrade, it's pretty easy. Then, it gets regularly updated. That's what I like about it.

What needs improvement?

The packaging part of the software needs improvement. It lacks customization abilities for users. Giving them VMs for machine learning or running their own programs like Azure and Amazon, for example. Things like scalability based on the requirement of the tools. Oracle still lacks these kinds of things. For example, if you need a VM from Oracle, you need to pay for a monthly fee. They started developing containership but it's still at the initial stage and it's still lacking. They also need to develop integration between packages.

In order for this solution to be a ten out of ten, it needs to be a little more customizable. Currently, it's not. Having said that, it's a cloud solution, but there is some rigidity when it comes to scaling up or scaling down. Oracle has to work on maybe better pricing models. If I need to run a program monthly one day in a month, I don't need to pay for a machine for the whole month. It should be a pipeline like Azure has where you just start with that pipeline. For that one or two hours when your program's running, you pay. Otherwise, you don't pay anything. If that gets added, I think it will be closer to ten out of ten. The other fact is that they need to have more data centers. Currently, we have only one in Australia. I think they should have more than one here.

I have been using this solution for almost a year.

It's stable. We hardly see any issues related to stability. I don't have a benchmark to compare it to, but we do not see many issues with stability.

I don't have a benchmark to compare it with anything, but the scalability part is still not as good compared to Amazon because you need to manually scale up the application. Although, once you select the upscale or downscale configurations, it's easy, it's smooth. It's not like Amazon where you can scale based on requirement and it's much more seamless. Here, it's not. Currently, the OCI package that we are on is customer managed more than actually Oracle managed. We do have backend access for those applications. We can modify that. Going forward, I think they will come up with a strategy where it would be more Oracle-managed rather than client managed.

We have more users on the Oracle Analytics Cloud platform, which is 50 people currently using out of a total set of 200, 250, 300 people. People are creatures of habit, so they go to the on-prem option rather than going to the cloud version. Slowly, we are migrating people to the cloud.

We hardly require any people for maintenance. In fact, we have only one guy who takes care of the maintenance part of it. For upgrading and patching, we require just one person, who is not full-time. He does his day job, this is a side job for him.

We do have plans to increase usage. We're taking it slow and migrating.

Their technical support is average. Oracle support staff are not up to the mark. They take their time. They are average in terms of support, quality, and timely in resolving issues.

I have not previously used another solution. This is the first one. That's why I mentioned a few times that I don't have a benchmark to actually compare Oracle with. When I compare it with Amazon or a similar product it's from the knowledge that I got from researching online. I don't have the first-hand experience with other cloud platforms.

There is complexity when it comes to setting up cloud platforms when you set up the network part of it. After that, it is very easy compared to if you wanted to deploy an Oracle application on Amazon or an Azure platform, you have to do the installation and you have to do all the integration. Here, it's not the case. You choose the application that you want and that springs up. That gives you everything. That's a good part about Oracle. If you are an Oracle heavy company and you want to spin up OBIEE, which is Oracle Business Integrator Platform or Oracle Data Integrator Application, you don't need to do anything. You just select the whole package and it gets deployed. When it comes to Azure or Amazon, you need to build a VM. Then, deploy this on them, install that software on the VM.

The setup takes 20 to 30 minutes.

I don't have that much information about pricing because I'm not at that level to know. It's not that expensive. I think it's maybe half or one-fourth of our actual on-prem cost, especially in Oracle Data Integrator. It's pretty cheap. Maybe around $30,000 or $40,000 per month.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be, if you have enough to invest in Oracle, I would recommend going for it. If an organization has OBI, Oracle Business Intelligence reporting platform, which is quite mature, and they want to move into cloud, Oracle's a good fit for them because it's easier to move. If you don't have anything set and you don't have that much of investment in Oracle, I wouldn't recommend it. I would recommend Amazon because of the sheer fact that it's a much more stable integration. You get a lot more options. You can play a lot more in terms of upscaling or downscaling the solution.

I would rate it a six or seven out of ten.