Oracle Hyperion Review

The most valuable feature for us is that it's a tool that supports the entire planning and budgeting forecast for the whole company. We still have issues and bugs because it's a new release.

Valuable Features

In Hyperion, we use the Public Sector Planning and Budgeting module. The most valuable feature for us is that it's a tool that supports the entire planning and budgeting forecast for the whole company. We don't need to go outside of the product in order to perform our planning and budgeting.

Improvements to My Organization

We used to rely on Excel before we implemented Hyperion, and we don't have to do that anymore and rely on those spreadsheets. The tool does all our budgeting and forecasting without much manual work. It's now all automated, saving us both time and from many human errors.

Room for Improvement

We still have issues and bugs because it's a new release. I wouldn't call us guinea pigs, although we were one of the first implementors, but there are bugs that I wish they'd fix.

For example, some of the forms don't work properly and we have started a couple of SRs that they are working on it. But the timeline they've given us seems kind of slow, especially for a severity-one ticket.

We just upgraded from 11.1.2.2 to 11.1.2.4, which came with a huge change to include the ASO cube within planning itself. This was the best change for us. Previously, we had to create a separate app each time we needed an ASO cube. Now it sits within the planning cube so there are options that allow you to choose whether you want that app within or outside the planning solution. We actually implemented it as within the planning solution, so that it syncs two cubes by itself.

It's stable and we have had no issues. It's actually more stable following the upgrade.

We've had no issues scaling it for our needs.

I wouldn't say I'm 100% satisfied. The worst part I hate about it, is that when we talk about one issue, sometimes that issue just comes up and their first question is, can you reproduce the issue? That's the first thing they ask you. Sometimes it is reproducible, but not all the time. I think that's what I hate about it.

I was involved in the upgrade, and since we had 11.1.2.2, already it wasn't like we had to do everything from scratch. We had a baseline where we said, "Okay, this is what I want and from 11.1.2.4 this is what I'm expecting." It was a little tricky because it was a new feature and we had learn new stuff, but at least we didn't have to do it from scratch so it didn't make it that difficult.

Other Advice

I would definitely recommend Hyperion especially if they're doing it for their budgeting and forecasting tool. It's so easy compared to Excel or something similar. It's manual versus automated, and who doesn't like automated? I had times when I had to actually run the process myself at 12:00 at night, but now it's all automated.