Oracle WebLogic Server Review

Gives us two main features that we use the most and which are the most valuable to us: the administration console and clustering.

Valuable Features:

WebLogic Server gives us two main features that we use the most and which are the most valuable to us:

• Administration console - Compared to open source application servers, the WLS administration console is quite complete in terms of features. It would be easier for developers and sysadmins to manage, monitor and config the app server from an administration console.
  • Clustering - The clustering capability is also pretty robust.

Room for Improvement:

I'd like to have a lighter version for micro-service architecture. In my experience, it can sometimes take 15-30 minutes just to start the server if we deploy a lot of applications. I think this may be in the latest version, although I'm not sure.

Use of Solution:

I've been using it for three to four years.

Deployment Issues:

We had no issues with the deployment.

Stability Issues:

We've had no issues with the stability.

Scalability Issues:

There have been no issues scaling it for our needs.

Initial Setup:

The initial setup was pretty straightforward, but my advice would be to read the documentation first. Their documentation is very comprehensive and contain basic tips for installation and tuning the products.

Implementation Team:

I implemented as part of a vendor team. I have seen and heard of implementations where the basic configuration and features are not configured, which can actually enhance the reliability and performance of the app server.