Parallels Remote Application Server (RAS) Review

The ability to easily publish resources to a subset of users is what we find most valuable

What is our primary use case?

Cloud-hosted desktop.

How has it helped my organization?

We use RAS for customer solutions.

What is most valuable?

We use RAS to publish cloud desktops to our clients. The ability to easily publish resources to a subset of users is what we find most valuable.

The management capability from the RAS portal provides greater control than using pure MS inbuilt into RDS capabilities.

What needs improvement?

We have had significant, ongoing issues with printing. It would be great to have a best practice for dealing with printing that we can offer to our customers.

It would be great if there were more sophisticated GPO templates/options.

From time to time, we have had issues with stability. However, this could be related to connectivity at client sites.

We also have regular issues with printers disappearing from sessions.

We currently use Parallels side-by-side with an Azure cloud-hosted solution. This may be from a lack of product knowledge on my part, but we still need to work out the most effective way to shut down servers outside of hours, thereby reduce hosting costs. I am not entirely convinced Parallels does this well yet.

In my limited dealings with support, they have been responsive, respectful, and helpful.

We were previously using Citrix. We changed for a number of reasons:

1. We acquired a cloud company which was already using Parallels.
  2. Cost.

The initial setup was straightforward.

Parallels is a cost effective alternative to Citrix.

We evaluated Citrix and Microsoft Remote Desktop Services (MS RDS).

What other advice do I have?

Understand what you want to get out of the product.