Parallels Remote Application Server (RAS) Review

Streamlines publishing apps and desktops on Terminal Servers, and sharing printers

How has it helped my organization?

We have some systems in a secret zone of our network. With Parallels, it's easy to publish an app or a desktop to users.

What is most valuable?

We can publish apps and desktops on Terminal Servers and seamlessly share printers. We also combine Parallels with Deepnet Security to get two-factor authentication.

What needs improvement?

We use several gateways because access to our secret zone requires two-factor user authentication. It is a lot of hassle differentiating among users with or without two-factor. Of course, we could use two farms, but that would mean more management too.

More than five years.

We have encountered stability issues at times. Some updates are not good and are followed by a new update soon after.

We have had issues with scalability but we do not use a load balancer.

We have not used tech support often but it has been good in the cases where we had to use them.

It's easier to set up and use than Citrix. We also switched because Parallels was more cost-effective and supported our requirements better.

The initial setup is straightforward, but ours was more complex to meet all our needs.

I recommend testing Parallels and comparing it to your needs. Compare the prices against what you are able to do with the product and its alternatives. Parallels is not a cheap product.

What other advice do I have?

Read the docs, do a test, and plan well.