Proxmox VE Review

Performs well with Windows but lacks Mac support due to Mac's EULA

With respect to some of the cons, Proxmox VE performs well enough with Windows if you use KVM's virtio devices in lieu of emulated hardware. However, the freely available virtio drivers are not WHQL-certified, which produces annoying error messages when you attempt to load them.

With respect to the lack of Mac OS X support, a large part of this is due to Apple's terms of use for OS X. I can't really blame Proxmox or the KVM folks for not pursuing Mac OS X support since doing so would violate Mac OS X's EULA and could potentially get them or their customers sued.

Lastly, I can't say that I've ever had any stability issues with the Proxmox VE web interface, but using the graphical console can be a struggle. I don't think I've gotten it to work in anything except Mozilla Firefox.

1 Comment
Tech Support Staff at a tech company with 1,001-5,000 employeesVendor

The limitation to running on Mac platforms is quite a disadvantage to the many large companies using this kind of OS for their machines. Luckily there are many other alternative virtualization productss in the market that provide similar or better features.

22 September 13