Proxmox VE Overview

Proxmox VE is the #2 ranked solution in our list of best Server Virtualization Software. It is most often compared to Hyper-V: Proxmox VE vs Hyper-V

What is Proxmox VE?

Proxmox VE is a complete virtualization management solution for servers.

Proxmox VE Buyer's Guide

Download the Proxmox VE Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: April 2021

Proxmox VE Customers

Municipality of Trento, SwitchMIA, inDenova, Valmeita City Council, Alpha IT AS, Grupo Inversor Veracruzano S.A.P.I. de C.V. (GRIVER), Laut und Schoen, IT-Services - Hamburg e.K., KMI Learning, Dynacom Tankers Management Ltd., Serwise AG

Proxmox VE Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Proxmox VE pricing:
  • "The only thing you pay for is support and it is between $2,500 and $3,000 a year. It depends on the support plan you choose. Support is optional."
  • "Zero - this is a free solution."

Proxmox VE Reviews

Kevin Heron
Technical Operations Manager at Ocient, Inc.
Aug 16, 2020
Rivaling the stiffest and competition in its category this solution suffers only from being young

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution as our virtualization platform. It is a hypervisor that we use for our virtual needs to run servers.

• "That the product is free and still has all the features you expect is a huge benefit."
  • "The setup is very easy."
  • "The product is still a little young so it is maturing, but new features are coming out all the time."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to people considering the product is that they have nothing to lose. Run it in a development lab, make sure they are comfortable with it, and make sure that the application that their company runs can support that hypervisor. It should. Then deploy Proxmox and start saving money. I have been encouraging former colleagues of mine that are VMware users to start using Proxmox. I suggest they throw it in their development lab and spin it up and start building systems just so they can see the absolute benefits of this product and really enjoy the fact that they can have it as a solution…
reviewer1373829
Propriétaire et Technicien Système at MBTechnologies.ca
Jun 21, 2020
Easy to use and supports multi-monitors on multiple VMs in KVM

What is our primary use case?

We are now running it in full HA production vs XCP-NG and VMWware 6.7u3p We have multiple VMs on 6 hosts for Proxmox, 5 hosts on XCP-NG, and 12 Hosts for VMware. Proxmox Config: 6X 2697V2 128GB ram each / 24TB SSD for CEPH (HP S700 PRO). XCP-NG Config: 5X2690V3 128GB each/12TB SSD (Samsung 860 Pro). VMware Config: HP BLADE 12X2690V3 256GB each/2 SAN with 24X1TB SSD (S700 PRO) and total usable 1PB with multiple DAS for storage. Comparing the CEPH to vSAN is about the same (wasn't running it in production but the performance was greater with a cheap drive on Proxmox, performance with SAS drives… more »

• "Ease of use, HA, internal 100gbps Virtio network, built-in backup (don't pay $1200 Veeam licence), support for multi-monitors on multiple VMs in KVM, no need to RDP in the VMs to do your stuff (Win, Linux and Mac with SPICE and using 6 screens here (11520*2160)."
  • "The Windows drivers could be easier (unlike manually installing Ballon, QEMU and optionally SPICE, VIRTio, etc.)"

What other advice do I have?

Best free and stable solution on the market for me.
Learn what your peers think about Proxmox VE. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: April 2021.
475,208 professionals have used our research since 2012.
DEEPEN DHULLA
Director & CTO at TechnoInfotech
Dec 2, 2020
Out-of-the-box, is easy to learn compared to other vendors, and is easy to deploy

What is our primary use case?

We use the open-source version of Proxmox for automation and other uses, including LXC containers. We use it for my enterprise applications and to offer our hosted cloud-services.

• "The feature that I have found most valuable is that its storage container, LVM, and everything else work out of the box."
  • "It could have more security updates such as when a new threat is coming into market."

What other advice do I have?

With Proxmox VE you get everything in one box, including the ZFS & Ceph storage & LXC container technology. Even the support subscription is really good. It's a wonderful open-source solution. It's out-of-the-box and it is easy to learn compared to other vendors. It is easy to deploy and maintain and you hardly have any trouble or challenges from the software. It provides peace of mind for management. On a scale from one to ten, I would rate Proxmox VE a nine.
Ramon Ruiz
Director IT at Servnet
Reseller
Apr 11, 2021
Performance and impact are great because of the clusters

What is our primary use case?

We sell Proxmox VE solutions to our customers. The workload to help our customers may be the biggest use case to be on the cloud. We use a bunch of statuses, and different ways to deliver databases, and SQL Servers. So, that's the natural way we use the platform on the cloud.

• "It has a good performance and you can cluster it."
  • "It's one of those things for me to move things on to the cloud. It's not so easy. I am always on the laptop and have to monitor that because if you want to make strides; you need to stay online."

What other advice do I have?

It's one of those things for me to move things on to the cloud. It's not so easy. I am always on the laptop and have to monitor that because if you want to make strides; you need to stay online. Though we intend to go with a third party to look for another solution, we hope they will fix that in the next release. The work panel is very good for intake. It's very easy to use and you can scale from other areas which is not a very technical way, so you can use them, including the panel. They can manage their integrated solutions, and that's very good because it's the thing that you want to scale…
Edgard Ribeiro
Support Analyst at EDXINFO
Nov 22, 2020
Great two-factor authentication with a good interface and backup

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution to host virtual machines, such as: SQL Server Database, Active directory domain services, web services, general cloud applications, and some virtual machines or containers for development and testing purpose. Specially the preference for containers is due to the easly development when the only basic operational system is required istead of fully hardware virtualization (kvm). We heavly use replication resource to assign some garantine to critical virtual machines wich could run eventually on other sites or hosts, in case of broken internet links, hardware issues or even… more »

• "The backup service, which was released recently, and that we are already using, is wonderful."
  • "We have only command lines for a management application to remove sites. The solution needs a proper GUI."
KG
KhalifaGueye
Principal Chief Executive Officer at Sebitech
Jan 16, 2021
Open source, easy to install, and works well with Linux

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use Proxmox for training in university. I use its virtual environment.

• "The solution is open source and free to use."
  • "The availability of the solution could be a bit better."

What other advice do I have?

I'm just an end-user of the solution. I don't have a business relationship with Proxmox. I use the product in my classroom as a learning aid. I'd recommend the solution. It's been an invaluable learning resource for myself and my students. It works well and shows off the potential of virtual environments. I use it often for my classes and with my students as a teaching device. On a scale from one to ten, I would rate this product at an eight. I would only give VMware a higher rating. It's definitely at the top of my list in terms of technology in this area.
Fábio Rabelo
IT Manager at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
Nov 24, 2020
Switched from Citrix XEN and EMC VMWare: No downtime when node needs service but web interface could be simplified

What is our primary use case?

It is implemented in several Private Cloud Data Centers, from 5 to 16 nodes, from 256 GB RAM to 1 TB RAM, all using Supermicro Systems, running SQL servers, Application Servers ( SAP, Prothevs and some tailored Apps developed in house ) VDI and Files Repositories . all smooth and trouble free .

What other advice do I have?

Do it! The simplicity will surprise you!
Kevin Heron
Technical Operations Manager at Ocient, Inc.
Jun 28, 2020
Free, flexible, easy to implement; it's based on KVM and independent nodes are a great feature

What is our primary use case?

This is a free version of VMware and that's why we're using it. It does everything that VMware can do and it's more flexible. We were looking for a virtual solution and we're a startup, so the cheapest is best. We are customers of Proxmox and I'm the technology operations manager.

• "Less infrastructure required; simple to use."
  • "Lacking in enterprise features."

What other advice do I have?

My only recommendation to anyone thinking of implementing this solution is to read up on it, but give it some serious consideration because it really is a great product. In other words, don't let the freeware label scare you off. I would rate this solution a seven out of 10.
See 12 more Proxmox VE Reviews