Quest NetVault Backup Review

An initial straightforward setup but the restore functionality needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for backup in retail machines for VMware.

What is most valuable?

I do like that we are able to create backup jobs on the solution.

What needs improvement?

The restore functionality needs improvement. The biggest downgrade from Veea  Backup & Replications is the number of docs that can run at the same time. I also find that because it's a web-based solution it runs slow. You have to wait a while until it refreshes. The refresh needs to be much faster, and the restore has to be more accurate.

I've been using the solution for two months.

The stability of the solution is poor.

Scalability is not so good. We don't have plans to expand. In fact, we have plans to switch to VM.

We have contacted technical support and they've been very good.

We used to use Veeam Backup, but only for testing purposes.

The initial setup is straightforward. It's not that complicated. Deployment took maybe about 15 minutes. The solution takes a lot of maintenance because every day we have to check to see which jobs have failed and then go in and re-edit those jobs. We have two people that work to maintain the system.

What other advice do I have?

We are using the on-premises version of the solution.

I'm not a big fan of it. I much prefer Veeam Backup & Replication.

In terms of advice I could give, If your company is using it for a small business or a small data center of maybe one hundred machines, then the solution would be okay. For us, we are worldwide and we have 10,000 machines. It's much more suited to smaller organizations.

I would rate the solution as five out of ten.