Rally Software Review

With the portfolio management feature, we understand our capacity and visually understand all the various initiatives in-flight.

What is most valuable?

• Portfolio management

How has it helped my organization?

It is designed 100% for agile, so if you run an agile/scrum organization, it will work for you. With the portfolio management feature we were able to understand our capacity for the first time and visually understand all the various initiatives in-flight. We could provide very clear dashboards to senior execs to be able to choose which projects we did and if they were on schedule.

What needs improvement?

Its greatest "feature" is also its limitation. Nothing is locked down or mandatory, with no complicated permissions, so it's very easy to get up and running quickly. They could have more controls around user types and what they require permissions to do.

There were no issues with deployment, stability or scalability because it's cloud based. It only went down a few times, which is very inconvenient when you run your entire team on it. But I guess this is the same for any system, cloud or self-hosted.

Technical support is 6/10. There weren't too many problems, so I didn't have to use them much. However, if support issues were specific to your data, they couldn't really help easily. They had to get permission to duplicate the database and then work on that, which in a large organization required quite a few approvals.

I have used JIRA in the past. This is not originally agile-based and requires more setting up to get it right for you.

The initial setup was simple as it only does agile.

An in-house team implemented it. The adoption wasn't the hard part. It was the overall agile transformation that required the effort, which was a culture/process thing.

I don't know about ROI but we couldn't work without it.

What other advice do I have?

You have to adopt agile and be true to agile. This is an agile product, too. If you don't want to plan in sprint and build teams around the agile process, then it's probably not the tool for you.