Rally Software Review

Provides traceability from the strategic objective to task level.

What is most valuable?

There are so many high-value features it is hard to choose but I will say the most valuable feature is the fact that it provides traceability from the strategic objective to task level with rolled up and detailed reporting. This is valuable as activity is joined up from top to bottom; a developer in a feature team can trace their input at the task level all the way up the hierarchy to the strategic objective they are helping to deliver. On the flip side, the CTO can have a view of real-time progress against the delivery of strategic objectives, drill down to the portfolio epics and business outcomes with the potential to see the value being delivered.

How has it helped my organization?

It has enabled the transition from a project-based portfolio to a product-based portfolio.

What needs improvement?

It could do with a wider range of colours for cards and the Kanban features need some improvement (which I know is on the way this year). The colour swatch for cards in Kanban board views is quite limited; I think there are 9 possibilities. Using these to visually differentiate cards on a busy board becomes less valuable when multiple themes are sharing a card color.

Kanban features should be built around flow, which implies they should not be constrained by time boxes. This is of particular relevance when considering many of the views that, by design, require one to select a time box. This is also true of reporting. There are some things to consider, though, as when viewing a personal or team board, one doesn’t want to see the entire backlog, so it would be useful if that could be limited to a user-defined number of stories.

I have been using Agile Central for seven years.

We have never had stability issues in seven years of use.

It is the most scalable product of its kind out there.

Technical support is excellent.

I have used JIRA, Trello and IBM Rational, but none of them are close to Agile Central.

Initial setup was very straightforward and guided by CA consultants.

If you want the very best, expect to pay accordingly. But you will get ROI from it, especially if you are doing agile well and at scale.

In my current role, the firm evaluated JIRA, Agile Central, VersionOne and IBM Rational (I think).

What other advice do I have?

You will only regret it if you have chosen the Rolls Royce when you could have got by with a Nissan Micra.