SAP Business One Review

A tool that serves many business needs to help enhance productivity and workflows

What is our primary use case?

I am a partner for SAP Business One and I have implemented more than 30 customers. My primary use is as a reseller. The customer's primary use varies but the product is primarily used in the automation of business functions. The specific use depends on the customer's needs.

What is most valuable?

The features that are most valuable will vary depending on the client. Turkey is a multi-currency country. Although we have Turkish Lira as our own currency, most of the trade is going on with Euro or US dollars because of the high inflation rate or because the unit pricing is in Euros or United States dollars. But Business One can handle this multi-currency situation very well. The financial model is good, so the financial piece is a nice feature for our users in Turkey at least.

The searching of documents is also a very good feature that most of my customers like. With it, they can find documents that they are looking for very easily. Also, there is a Yellow Arrow (i.e., Golden Arrow) linking feature to establish connections between the documents and accounts, the business partners, or events. The clients appreciate this feature for simplifying document management.

These two features are the ones that first came to my mind as being most mentioned by clients.

What needs improvement?

This product could be improved the most in the user interfaces. Most of the new generation users are looking for drag-and-drop functionality, which SAP does not have. Also the SAP WEB Browser access is limited to some functionalities. It would be better if a higher portion of the software is compatible with web browser.

I have been using SAP Business One for five years now.

I think that Business One is very stable.

Scalability is good. It is really easy to add new users or new departments or new branches. I have gone up to 220 users without any problems. So, I think it is good at scalability in increasing the number of users.

Our customers range is broad from the smallest to the largest of our clients. But even if the number of users in a company is small — like, for example, 20 or 25 users — I also have customers who are some of the largest 500 companies in Turkey. These companies are not creating millions of transactions. But if you look at the revenue, then all of the clients — from the smallest that we service — are larger financially than the typical small and medium-sized enterprises.

Our technical support representative is located in Hungary and he is the perfect man for providing support. On the other hand, I know that my friends in Italy have suffered from having poor technical support. So, from what I know, I can say that the quality of support is dependent on the support team and employee you are working with.

I have worked with different solutions. The one I worked with the most was Netsys and that was for about 10 years. Netsys is a local ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) system.

The initial setup is simple. It usually takes only a day or so.

I think the price of Business One is reasonable considering the functionality.

As a reseller, we evaluate various solutions. In the medium to large companies, we mostly shortlist SAP S/4HANA and SAP Business One. The clients try to decide between S/4HANA and SAP Business One. This causes some confusion sometimes because there is a huge price difference between the two products. Of course, there are big differences in functionality. The question becomes whether the functionality of SAP Business One is enough for the customer's needs or not. I try to help them in making these decisions by providing clues about how the products differ and how they could fill the customer's needs.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to people considering this tool has to do with how to use it. The result is definitely very important and often people focus on that. But if you score a successful project out of 100%, a good software may be only 40% of that. Another 40% is the team of implementers, and their knowledge and experience. This is very important. The remaining 20% is the customer. You have to know if the customer ready for this kind of project. You have to know if the customer knows what he wants to have after this project is complete. Sometimes the customer does not know what he is looking for. In that case, the project can never get finished. Yes, it is important to have a good software, but it is also important to have a good team doing the project and also have a very good understanding of the project from the customer side. All of these things together are very important.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Business One as an eight-out-of-ten. The additional features I would like to see to make it score higher is increased functionality supported for web browser access and more user-friendly forms and UI templates.

Other